Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Install New Programs

• Please log in to reply

ZephyrusWing

ZephyrusWing

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

I've been having this problem recently, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Whenever I try installing an application (if it matters, it's been specifically Adobe programs, but it's happened with others), I get an error message that goes as follows:

16 bit Windows Subsystem
C:\Docu...\Owner\Localsettings\Temp\. A temporary file needed for intialization could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I don't quite know how to deal with this, and the most obvious thing is that I know I have more than enough disk space and that I know the folder exists. That's not the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there ZephyrusWing, welcome to Geeks To Go forums.

I was thinking maybe the files you would like to install already exist in the temp folder.

So try this:
> Start
> All Programs
> Accessories
> System Tools
> Disk Cleanup

Try do a cleanup on your root drive (eg. C:\) and then try re-installing what ever you wanted to install.

Let me know if this worked. :whistling:

ZephyrusWing

ZephyrusWing

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I am trying right now to use disk cleanup. Actually, this is my dad's computer and I just thought this would be the right place to ask about any problems. I found this place and am, ever since having done so, happy about my computer's stability (actually, I get frequent crashes that come out of nowhere and seem to result from Agnitum Outpost firewall or AVG antivirus, but...).

Anyway, back to the problem. He said he's already used disk cleanup before and nothing's happened. I checked the directory itself and made sure there wasn't any excess, and it's rather skimpy.

Do you have any other suggestions? I have an inkling that tells me this might be the cause of an infection.

Edited by ZephyrusWing, 06 April 2006 - 04:58 PM.

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Start / Run

Type in the box

chkdsk /f Notice the space between the K and the /

If a meesage pops up and says it can't run it .Do you want to run this on the next boot answer "Y" for yes and hit Enter

Exit then shutdown the machine.

Reboot and it should run by itself just let it go till finished.

Then try installing you App's

Regards,
TakeBK