Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The White Pages

• Please log in to reply

Tar

Tar

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Where do all the Web pages get you information?
How Can you stop it from being posted all over the net?
Is there 1 place where you can cancel everything?
I have people that only know my name and they are calling my home number even though I never gave it to them. I suspect they are getting it from the internet.

Advertisements

techwhiZ

techwhiZ

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
That is unbelievable!

Guse

Guse

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
As a test, I once tracked down all the information for some random cosplay girl on the internet from these little tidbits she gave:

First name and nickname (turned out to be an abbreviation of her middle name... Gabby for Gabrielle)
College she went to

Found the college and search for her first name. She was a good student so her name was posted on the dean's list. Looked up the white pages and found an address less than 15 miles from the university for someone with her name. Yellow paged and found the business name she worked for, again less than 10 miles from the white paged house. Pretty good bet that's her.

Scary stuff. Been real careful about what I say online since. And I'm not a cute cosplayer.

Edited by Guse, 11 April 2006 - 02:49 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you ever posted your phone number on the internet thatll happen, its actually scary, i can go into the BT website and get any UK phone number for anyone given just a location or even part of the name and the only way to get off the list is to register your number as X-directory which few people bother with. You know it even gives you a map to there house.

Scary isnt it, you have to be careful, if they bother you there is a number you can dial into your phone after someone calls that bans the number, its like #124580 for the UK or something similar cant remember exactly but if you get in touch with the phone company they can tell you.

You could probably piece together my location from the location bar if you knew abit about where i live and my user name lets away my nationality and my name, if youve been around long enough you could even find out where i study. And the staff can look up my email adress, but i decide not to worry about. If you tried to find me you would prbably find some reverand in dakota that scares the [bleep] out of me(complete opposite of me and its safe to say not someone i would enjoy talking to AT ALL). Ah well im rambling, the internet is a big thing full of info its hard to protect just be careful and dont let your phone number be published and youll be fine 90% of the time, i always think its not worth worrying about.

Edited by warriorscot, 11 April 2006 - 05:31 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the onlly way to stop the calls is to change your phone number and have it unlisted (even though you can still get unlisted phone numbers if you really try)....that's the only way to have a phone number not show up in a phone book..i actually knew someone who convinced bellsouth to list his phone number in the phone book under a fake name...(his billing was all for the proper name...but the name for his house in the phone book was seymore butts....)

lewie

lewie

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Interesting. I recently read an article on identity theft. The theft buster recommended listing a ficticious name in the white pages. When a soliciation comes through asking for the listed name, you know you've got a spammer because when queried about your name, they give the ficticious one.

Might be helpful for elderly relatives who seem to be susceptible.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I once had my phone number listed under my dog's first name. That way I didn't have to pay for an unlisted number. You can list it as anything (or you could at one time).