Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 2k and Exchange Networking

• Please log in to reply

asadikhan

asadikhan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I am trying to install a network at my home office. Here is what I have so far:

Equipment:

ISP Cable Modem
Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router
Dell TrueMobile Wireless Router (booo)
Two Servers with 2 Ethernet cards each
4 Laptops with Wireless PCI Cards

Here is what I plan as my network:

ISP Cable Modem -> BEFSR41
BEFSR41 has an ip address of 192.168.2.1 and DHCP turned on with DHCP range of 192.168.2.2-20.

Now I want to hook up the two servers and the laptops via Truemobile to internet. So I am thinking I should

- connect server1 (which is a domain controller) to one of the ports on BEFSR41 and give the server1 a static ip address of 192.168.1.50. Also I should turn the DHCP off on server1.

- connect server2 (which will run exchange) to another port of BEFSR41 and give server2 a static ip address of 192.168.1.60.

- connect Truemobile's WAN port to a third port (see Q1) on BEFSR41.

Here are my questions:

Q1) Should I connect Truemobile using BEFSR41's uplink port, or any other port?

Q2) When I make server1 a domain controller, would server2 be able to see it through BEFSR41? Or should I use the second ethernet ports on the two servers to connect them directly somehow (sounds very stupid).

Q3) Does the network I described above seem ok? Or am I gonna run into a dead end somewhere? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Advertisements

asadikhan

asadikhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Also wondering if the BEFSR41 DHCP would automatically assign IP addresses to laptops via the Truemobile? Hmmm ...

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I would keep it simple. The wired network connect to the BEFSR41 and use just one subnet 192.168.2.x. I would use DC as DHCP and DNS. wireless network can be the another subnet. for more information, check www.howtonetworking.com

asadikhan

asadikhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So you are suggesting that my ISP Cable Modem be directly connected to the DC server. And then the second network card of the DC (192.168.2.1) be connected to BEFSR41 with DHCP off? What should the IP address of BEFSR41 be then? And would the DC assign ip addresses to other computers through BEFSR41?

BTW, currently I got this setup to work: Cable Modem -> BEFSR41, BEFSR41 has DHCP on, and the two servers are connected to BEFSR41. I made one a domain controller. But the weird thing is that server2 can ping DC server with its name as "ws01" but not with complete domain i.e. "ws01.foo.com". And so then obviously server2 can't join the same domain as DC either ... any ideas?

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Cable Modem -> BEFSR41->the LAN. do you instal internal DNS?