Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NTLDR missing

• Please log in to reply

dmcbass

dmcbass

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
New reload and now I get NTLDR missing every time i boot. Help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi dmcbass...

Boot using the Windows XP CD. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press a key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password. (If you have not set a password, press "Enter".

Copy the following two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer. At the command prompt (C:\Windows>), type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one:

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Let us know how this goes...

wannabe1

dmcbass

dmcbass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
As usual, your advice is perfect.

Thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to help! :whistling:

jweg84

jweg84

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am having the exact same problem. I did the above in the recovery console and restarted the machine. Still having the exact same problem. I tried re-installing XP on the machine and that did not help.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Is there any way you can download the Windows XP floppie disk generator from another computer? If you can set up your floppies, then you can boot from them.

Try repeating the above process with NTFS PRO setup disks.

Is there a way you can get into DOS?

As I recall, I used Caldera disk files to open the door, then switch disks for a Norton basic startup disk. From there I cd c:\ and then cd to whatever drive my setup CD is on. Baring that, the initial floppie gets you to a:\ and from there you can do a cd c:\dir_/s_/p to get to see if the files are in the c:\ directory. If not, type in c:\dir_/s_/p_ntldr This will search the whole hard drive to see if they are there. Repeat the same string for the other file needed. Once found, record their location on a bit of paper and then copy/xcopy them over to the c:\ folder and reboot.

If you can get to the command prompt in safe mode, then repeat the above, but don't bother with the floppie disk/s.

A lot of times the files are in the c:\Windows folder somewhere... i386, or the somewhere among the series of folders beginning at c:\Windows\$hf_mig$ etc.

Last option, get the files from another computer, or your disk installed into another computer. Save to a floppie and install them from the a:\ command when you get to it...just pop in the disk and copy them over.

Once you have the problem solved, download and save the SP2 file from MS. Open the file, but do not install it. Save all of the I386 files to an I386 folder in c:\ i.e. set up a new folder on c:\I386CACHE You can then refer the computer to this folder should you need a file and cannot readily access the CD.

Did you reformat before your re-install? Do a full reformat to really clean it off.

...Jaguar

jweg84

jweg84

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I am able to boot the computer all the way up and it functions like normal. The problem is that i have to leave the windows CD in the drive or all I will get is ntldr is missing. In my C:\ I have the boot.ini file, the ntdetect.com and also the ntldr file. All of these were copied and replaced on the computer from the disk. And when I reformated the computer I did a complete format. Put the xp cd in chose the C drive and chose format. I am completely stumped on this one. HELP!

Edited by jweg84, 13 August 2006 - 08:17 PM.

jweg84

jweg84

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was wondering if maybe taking the CMOS battery out might help anything. I have also read that flashing the BIOS might work. The CMOS battery I will probably try but flashing the BIOS will be a last resort thing.

jweg84

jweg84

• Pip
  • 4 posts
bump