Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program for mass renaming?

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello all.

I'm working on someone's computer, and I did a system restore. It failed to finish, so I tried again, which failed again. Now I got 2 or 3 duplicates of many different files. I got a duplicate file deleter, but the original files have been renamed too. They all have "(1)" or "(2)" in the name.

It's probably over 300 files that are affected in that way (minus the duplicates) and I need to rename them. I'm hoping to save some time by using a program.

Does anyone know of a program that can do that? (free or trial with full functionality for a period)

Edited by computerwiz12890, 06 April 2006 - 07:31 AM.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hey computerwiz.

If you highlight them all, right click, and click rename, then choose a name it should change the files to
filename 001 filename 002 filename 003
much like when photos are copied to a PC from a camera.

Is this what you meant?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello SuperSam.

No, these files are system files, icons, program files, etc. I just need to remove the (1) or (2) from all of the original copies of those files. Somehow, the originals were renamed with that (1) and (2) after doing the restore.

So, they must retain their name, with the exception of (1) and (2).

For example, there are icons on the desktop like:
Ad-aware SE Personal (1)
Ad-aware SE Personal (2)
Ad-aware SE Personal (2)(2)

I got a duplicate file deleter to get rid of the extras, and now I need a mass renamer to remove all the (1)s or (2)s from the original files.