Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't print from internet

• Please log in to reply

ggames88

ggames88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
When I try to use print preferences to print from the internet, my computer closes out of the internet. This is a problem, as I don't want to waste colour to print off a message. Can someone help? Stan

Advertisements

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi ggames88,

Well, to be honest I don't know what the cause might be, but can you copy the text from the site to a Word Processor and then try printing from there? I'm suggesting this so if what you want to print is important you don't have to wait until someone manages to fix your problem. Then we'll try to deal with the problem later, give me some time to research about it please.

Alan :whistling:

ggames88

ggames88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for responding so quickly, Alan. Usually, what I was trying to print, were the step by step instructions to try to remove the viruses on my computer. I just wrote them down instead. So, I'll leave it in your hands and await your next response. Thanks, Stan

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Your welcome! Please go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

If this printing problem happened today, check under todays date whether you got any error (or Warning) regarding printing. If so, please quote the error. Check under both Application and System (in the Event Viewer)

Another thing, are you on XP Home or Pro.? What browser are you using?

Edited by alandemartino, 06 April 2006 - 09:08 AM.

ggames88

ggames88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Alan! I had a warning under application. I check past attempts also, where the same warning appeared. The warning is as follows:
Warning 4/6/2006 9:26:42 AM Userenv None 1517 SYSTEM SG001

The only difference on the other warnings is the date and time of the warning. I hope this helps. Stan

ggames88

ggames88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am using XP and my browser is Roger's Yahoo!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Another option if you do not need background colours is to click tools, internet options, advanced and check there isn't a tick in print background images

Depending on how often you do this, you could set the printer first to print black only, or click edit, select all then paste it in to word

You can use the mouse to highlight the text you need then click file, print and put the dot in selection and it will only print the highlighted text

[attachment=7717:attachment]

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Ok, try this:

Reboot in Safe Mode:
The way to Reboot in Safe Mode: Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Then, click Start > Run and type sfc /scannow (Note the space after sfc) and hit Enter. You will need your XP cd in your drive. Once ready, Reboot Normal Mode. Let me know if this solves your problem.

ggames88

ggames88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks Keith! What I have done for now; I opened my printer preferences through the control panel and reset it to print in black. If I require colour, I'll change it back the same way. This will do until the problem can be resolved properly. Thanks for your suggestions, because they're what made me think of this option.
Stan

ggames88

ggames88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Alan. We have a problem. I don't have the disk. XP had to be installed when I had the mother board replaced. The tech installed it but I didn't receive the disk. Is it likely that I may have to buy a new disk and install it, or is there something else we can try?
Stan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can borrow a same version as was installed XP CD to run everything, with the exception of a clean install

If you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you run a repair install you need to enter your product key, not the one from the borrowed CD

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I second what Keith said. I'll leave you to him, his far more knowledgable than I am.

ggames88

ggames88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Does this mean, I need to borrow a disk? If so, how do I know if I have SP1 or SP2 and the same for the one I borrow?
Stan

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties to see if it has SP2, although the important thing is whether this was added, not if it is there

Ask the person you borrow it from if they downloaded SP2

You can run sfc without a CD and it will ask if it needs the CD, click skip, if it asks a few times, click cancel, then you know files are missing