Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp2003 slow over network

• Please log in to reply

Nevstah

Nevstah

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hiya guys

i know similar topics have been discussed before.. but i'm at a loss.. and the previous topics havent helped:(

i'm stressed out!! i've had a 2003 standard server running absolutely fine for over a year... recently, when a user on the local network requests a file (thru mapped network drive) it 'waits' for a min or 2 before the file comes up on screen (normally a 50k word doc would be more or less instant!)all other network activity is really slow too :whistling:

server setup is unchanged since it was running ok... i've replaced cables and switching hubs... opening the same files locally on the server is no problem.. its just across the network!! (both ways)

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanx

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Nevstah, welcome to Geeks To Go forums.

Is there any new programs you have installed recently [Since problem started occuring??? (Eg. Firewalls, Anti-Virus) the usuall things that can mess around with the network???

Also is there only 1 user who trys to connect to your network or many??? Is it just the one user who requests a file and the problem occurs???

This sounds also like a malware infection, but before we can be sure, please post back the information I have requested.

Let me know. Cool :whistling:

Nevstah

Nevstah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hiya

thanks for the response

as far as i'm aware theres no new software installed since the go slow... yes, there are up to 12 local users at any one time.. some laptops, some pcs. firewall is turned off on the fileserver, and i temporarily disabled the AV to see if that was the cause. some users see it slow more than others.. i'm getting to the bottom of this (the real truth :whistling:) to begin with it was deffinately everyone but i've made a few tweaks since then and i've deffinatly seen a few users with quicker speeds.

i'm usually pretty good at spotting spyware etc.. but i've not seen anything yet.. but i'm always open to suggestions!

the os is win2003 standard, and has been running for around 18 months (as far as i can remember)

many thanks

nev

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Nevstah, you say that you have teaked it a bit and has made the network a bit faster.

Exactly what do you mean by tweaks??? Deleteing programs, loading programs, running scans (What scans), ect....

:whistling:

Nevstah

Nevstah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
sorry.. i should have seen that coming :whistling:

i deleted the dhcp scopes and started again because there was a problem with users logging on and aquiring an IP, this solved the problem.

i cleared the cache etc for the dns, deleted the dns entries and re-entered them.. pinging the server from client pcs took a long time to resolve the server name, this again seemed to speed things up.

there are no unneccessary processes running. i've done the usual chkntfs, chkdsk etc and adawrae/spybot/hijackthis.. all came clean.

thanks

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Nevstah,

Ok, I dont know if this might have anything to do with it, but try aquiring IP addresses automaticaly for all the users.

Also I would try unplugging all users connected and plug 1 by 1 back in. See where the network starts to become slow, if it is one user that maybe holding up network traffic.

Also if you can try and borrow a diffrent hub and try the same thing.

Cool :whistling:, let me know

Nevstah

Nevstah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
all users connect using dhcp.. i assume this is what you mean?

i havent tried unplugging all users yet, but i have tried a brand new hub, which made no diff. also there are no lights on the switch indicating any particular connection is busy or in error.

will let u know how i get on

many thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how many other servers are in your network? i'm assuming this is an active directory domain correct? is the file server ALSO a DC (Domain controller)? how many DCs do you have? are you doing WINS replication between the servers? any off site or site to site replication between your site and another?

Nevstah

Nevstah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hiya

there is 1 other server - running vpop3 only.

yes its active directory, yes its the primary domain controller. there are no other domains or controllers. there is no replication between any other server. its purely local

thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is there a chance of you moving copies of some of these same documents over to the other server and sharing them there to see if it's a server issue or a network hardware issue (if you move a small group of files over to t he other machine and they are still slow...then it's probably a network hardware issue...otherewise it's probably a bogdown in the server itself somewhere)

Hayes695

Hayes695

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Did anyone think to check the link and duplex speeds? We had to switch all our stuff over to 100 full.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i always leave my switches and what not at auto auto...but yeah...check that too..

Hayes695

Hayes695

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sometimes leaving things at auto will in fact slow your network down to a crawl. Try one port on your switch and change the machine it's going to up to 100 full. See if you notice a difference.

Nevstah

Nevstah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hiya

i've set all the network to 100FULL.. was one of the first things i did.. didnt really make a difference :whistling:

i havent tried copying files to/from the server using the server itself... i'll try that next!!

thanks

nev

Nevstah

Nevstah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi folks
sorry i've been slow in responding, no the situation isnt resolved:(

while logged on to the server desktop, copying a file to another pc shared folder works fine, its just seems to be copying/reading a file from the server while logged on to another pc

most perplexing

the nic itself seems ok.. but i only know how to check so much. the hdds seem fine, not too full. the server in every other respect seems ok

any further thoughtsa??

thaanks

nev