Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wire placement

• Please log in to reply

pomp

pomp

the man

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Hello. I have about 5-6 fans in my computer (dual fan PSU) and what not....There's a lot of wires from the PSU for the power connectors for the fans. I was wondering what's the best way to like group the wires the best way..to help with the airflow. I know in a way, the way the wires are right now, it's restricting the airflow somewhat. It gets annoying at times and I really wanna have the inside of my, gaming rig, neat. lol! Thanks.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
What i do is get a bunch of cable ties or those twisty metal things i cant remember the name of and put everything inside a drive bay, usually my spare 5.25. everything thats going somewhere i draw out to the side and bunch what i can where i can and tie that up so its going along the top of the CPU and memory but back enough to not obstruct the PSU.

Then for anything allong the bottom i bunch it all up and tie it to the bottom of the drive rack at the front at the bottom so they all sit there and i tie them all toether for neatness.

The biggest tip though is to utilise the 5.25 bays of they are emtpy as they are almost always out of the airflow anyway and not in need of cooling so you can shove as much as you want in there with no bother and because its usually front top you can route everything through there to get rid of the extra cabling. Also braiding stuff for putting on cables is good or the twisty wrap rounds, mine came with silver brading and it makes it look much better, braided IDE cables are also a nice addition and because you can see the wires it gives the impression of tidyness.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
lol ok thanks man!..I'll have to keep reading that over and over to totally understand it. But I think I can lol.. Also, you think you can take a picture of the inside of your computer to show me what it looks like? :whistling:

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Basically keep your wires away from the mobo,cpu,PSU,ram. I have mine tucked up above my HDD, where my spare 5.25 drive bays are. Liek scot the wires on the bottom I have rolled up and ziptied. And scot those twisty things are called twist-ties.
-Pete.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ill have to find the disk for my mobile phone so ill see if i can do it tonight(reformated yesterday so ive still not got everything back on). Its kinda hard to get good pictures in there but ill try.

Mines was absolutley ship shape until i got the VF900 its uses one of my mobo fan slots so ive got the cable tied down but with the window you see it cut straight across.

So the basics are just the utilisation of free drive bay space and you need some ties to keep things in sometimes, you would be surprised where you can hide things, lots of little tricks really, like you HDD if youve got one of the new drive racks that go along and you have a window run them back not across the front, and you can tuck some wires behind the motherboard if your careful, biggest thing is to make sure nothing touches the HSF, or anything hot.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Thanks. I'll have my friend come over and look at my computer and tell me what to do or I'll try it by myself lol...Thanks for the advice!!!...I have like 3-4 vacant 5.25 bays lol...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
08_04_06_1659.jpg 08_04_06_1700.jpg 08_04_06_1701.jpg , you wanted some pics they kinda suck, i dont actually have a proper digital camera and im not getting the video camera even though it does take stills.

And heres the diamondback08_04_06_1713.jpg and the zboard with both keysets since youve not seen one08_04_06_1714.jpg . I really ought to get a digital camera one of these days.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You might look into this.

http://cableorganize...wrap/index.html

SRX660

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Scot, heer's mine ... lol..

forget the timestamps on the images haha

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1202.jpg
  • 100_1203.jpg

Edited by pomp, 09 April 2006 - 09:01 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats pretty messy some cable ties should sort that though just keep the cables well away from fans. Try using that cross ar to keep stuff away from the fan and get the power cable looped up into a drive bay as its civering the ram and it needs to be cooled as well.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Hehe scott my G7 mouse and G15 keyboard owns urs =)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nah zboard all the way totally got rid of my thumb and pinky strain which was the reason i got it why have a gaming keyboard thats just a normal keyboard with more buttons you can buy the button pads seperatley if you want that.

And the diamondback is alot cheaper than the G7 and again took away the strain, i also prefer the razer software to the logitech. I thought about a G7 but im not going wireless again learned that lesson at a lan you need something wired because theres so much interference mice get a bit twitchy so im wired all the know. And it makes for a lighter mouse which is good.