Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

totally messed up

• Please log in to reply

sschmitz

sschmitz

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Three weeks ago my computer began freezing. I could use it for awhile then after it froze once ... it would need a rest. Couldn't run any Spyware/Adware programs to check system. Restore didn't solve the problem. But, after letting it rest for a day... it allowed me to run and clean system. There wasn't anything major.

Worked fine for last three weeks then began again. My Norton needed renewed so I thought that may be the problem and removed it. Still didn't work. Got it up enough to download trial program recommended by Microsoft...and Office... F-Secure. It didn't appear to load. therefore...just figured it didn't because of the freezing issue.

Got on another computer and searched for an answer in your forums. Copied off recommendations for cleaning out malicious dll files. Downloaded and ran the three programs you recommended the last run was HijackThis. Actually stayed open long enough to do this. Then froze up again....

Discovered F-Secure did load, but not correctly. Went to Add/Remove and unistalled...It only took it off the Add/Remove list. Went to its file in programs... went into unistall F-Secure file and it stated it would only be removed by using ADD/Remove!!!

Searched every file imagninable to remove anything related to F-Secure...even in hidden files. Finally removed all except the Common Files Folder. Refuses to allow my to get rid of it completely.

Didn't fix the freezing problem....But...

NOW!!! I can't get on the Internet at all. Did the ping thing...everything is working. Connection is fine and running. But when I try to open Internet Explorer it states it can't find the server or page. Removed every Firewall, security option trying to find what on earth is blocking it.

Can't get on computer for assistance, but now it runs for a lengthy period of time unless I attempt the Web/Spy/Ad programs...Removed Spybot, SpySearch and Destroy, and AdAware just incase they were corrupted. No go... and once it freezes it won't work again until it rest for serveral hours.

I have used Safe Mode...no help
System Restore say it doesn't change anything when ran..no matter how far back I go.
The fix recommendated programs under freezing problems, ran but didn't find anything
I re-installed Internet explorer...re-entered IP addresses and Gateway Addresses

Spent hours trying to get it up and running. Please help...this is a main computer for my work also....Otherwise I have to drive to another office 30 min.'s away. That's what I'm on now.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for the connection

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

Use the PC you are on to download and save to disc

When you get to disc clean up, you may as well click more options and then clean up restore points, the end game is to get it running properly then set new restore points

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

sschmitz

sschmitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Great!!! Have to do some serious work here, but looking forward to getting back and working with this. I was at a total loss. Trying to keep my fingers out of the 'land of no return' was a major concern. That's the problem with being non-professional. Good thing I don't try brain surgery.

Let you know how it goes...and won't stay up until 2:00 am trying.

sschmitz

sschmitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Will I tried. Some steps worked great, these wouldn't run... disc clean up froze every time...skipped...sfc /scannow wouldn't run without the CD for Windows XP pack 2 (I added pack 2 over the net)...chkdsk /f /r froze up. Had to wait awhile to cont.

But, prefetch must have done something, because I could get to the net and download Tune Up 2006 trial.

I used the module copied disc, then ran the Tune Up. Which allowed me to run the Disc cleaner and defrag. Went through all of Tune Up and cleaned up as much as possible.

Re-added new down loads for Ad-Aware, and Spybot, and Avast (trial anti-virus).

Ad-Aware ran and Avast ran standard (no viruses found)... but Spybot cont.'s to freeze ...made it to first error *Windows Security Center Anti-Virus Override.

F-Secure remains in the Common File with Fpshx.dll, Fsexc.dll, Fsma32.dll, Fsma32.dll, Fspmapi.dll....all .dll files ...won't remove...message is 'make sure disk is not full or write protected'.

Still freezes this morning if I try to run Spybot....

Have to leave... happy I can communicate, but something is still causing problems and not sure how long before internet will freeze.

Suggestions??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run WinsockFix from the top link in post 2

If you use search, including hidden and system files to look for Norton and Symantec and find any, run this, though I would have winsock on the PC first

http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Because anti virus / malware scans which won't run can be a sign of malware

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

sschmitz

sschmitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Spent severals working through the 'manual'. I could not complete the process in the order given. But, I did find out that if I went on until I found something that did run, it would free up one of the previous programs that wouldn't run before. Had everything working fine by Saturday morning. My daughter and son-in-law came to town that afternoon and he couldn't keep his hands off... plus it froze up for him. He sat for two hours ...fine tuning and cleaning up what he felt was needed. Wish I could tell you what he did, but he did it on his own. I gave him all the info. I had downloaded and he learned/benefited from it also.
Thanks again...couldn't have got off the ground with you!!!! :whistling: And now my son-in-law might check out Geeks to Go when he is stumped (which not often).

sschmitz

sschmitz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Spent severals working through the 'manual'. I could not complete the process in the order given. But, I did find out that if I went on until I found something that did run, it would free up one of the previous programs that wouldn't run before. Had everything working fine by Saturday morning. My daughter and son-in-law came to town that afternoon and he couldn't keep his hands off... plus it froze up for him. He sat for two hours ...fine tuning and cleaning up what he felt was needed. Wish I could tell you what he did, but he did it on his own. I gave him all the info. I had downloaded and he learned/benefited from it also.
Thanks again...couldn't have got off the ground without you!!!! :whistling: And now my son-in-law might check out Geeks to Go when he is stumped (which not often).

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know