Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop Error 0x00000024 -- Ntfs.sys

• Please log in to reply

chiefreborn

chiefreborn

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey guys. Just so you know ahead of time, I am not a noob. I have tried replacing my ntfs.sys with one from another XP machine which I know for a fact works. I only get this blue screen when I try to open an ISO file. Here's the story:

I gave my laptop to Best Buy (have a warranty there) to get it repaired. (Overheating problems...) I was all happy to get it back. I have an ISO file that I wanted to mount, right? I tried to open it with UltraISO to mount it, and the BSOD pops up. I restart and try again. Same thing. So I start up Daemon Tools, which works, and I try to mount it. Same issue. Rebooted and tried again. Same BSOD. Now, whenever I try to start up Daemon Tools or UltraISO, they start the BSOD, even when I don't try to open the ISO I was trying to use before. I tried running the chkdsk /f utility, which worked and fixed a few errors, but to no avail. Still the same problems. I haven't tried defragging it yet, because I am afraid that I will, upon doing this, kill it completely. I do have backups of my most important things, but there is a LOT of stuff on my laptop that I'd rather not reinstall. I know that it isn't really the ISO's fault, because I can sucessfully mount it on another desktop, with the ntfs.sys file that I tried replacing my laptop's with. If you have any ideas, please let me know. Here is the exact BSOD message that I receive:

--------

A problem has been detected and Windows had been shut down to rpevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these

steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check

for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE,0xF7A4F660,0xF7A4F35C,0xF73CB7B6)

*** Ntfs.sys - address F73CB7B6 base at F73CB000, Datestamp 41107eea

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

--------

Cody

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
first....i'd uninstall daemon tools and the ultraiso and reinstall wichever one you like best...and see if that clears up the issue...also..i have yet to see a computer stop working because of a defrag (not saying it's not possible....just never seen it happen)

chiefreborn

chiefreborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Okay thanks I'll try that.

chiefreborn

chiefreborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It was Daemon Tools after all. Thanks for the advice, I just downloaded and bought a copy of Alcohol 120% to avoid the trouble from now on.

Cody