Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Performance issue using internal hard disk as external hard disk

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have Dell Inspiron 1000 Pentium laptop and I download tons of torrent movies. Hence I bought Maxtor 200GB hard disk (from Staples in deal) and External Hard Drive Enclosure - 5.25inch USB2.0 - Aluminum by Anyware from Shop4tech.com and made USB external hard disk with 4 partitions of 50GB each.

I am able to use the computer and download movies. The system is always On and downloading torrents. The problem is at night (after downloads have run whole day) when I try to use the computer, It kind of freezes. when I open explorer. I can see that it (explorer.exe or at times taskmgr.exe) is using 99% of CPU. Memory Memory usage is OK. Even if I try killing the explorer process, I cant. I try shutting down, I can't. I have to hard-boot the PC and then after starting I can use computer and explorer as well - although slow I can read write files to the to the drive.

1. How can I resolve the performance issues ?
2. I called up Maxtor helpdesk and they said that its a internal hard disk so it cannot be used as external hard disk ? Is that true ? internal hard disk can never be used as external hard disk ?
3. Has it anything to do with USB 1 or 2? I dont know how to find which USB version my computer has.

Could somebody please please please help me. Otherwise I will have to return the hard-disk and buy an external hard-disk which I don't want to as it was a very good deal.

Edited by kelkarshriram, 06 April 2006 - 02:02 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Duplicate Post