Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Why does everyone hate Norton IS so much?

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
My NIS 2005 is about to expire and I'll have the option to renew. But I've seen on these boards that a lot of people don't like Norton, can you tell me why?

I've read that many think it's a resource hog, what exactly does that mean? I know it does take a long time to boot up in the mornings, but....

My thing is that I like that it's an "All-In-One" kinda deal. I don't want to have to buy or download 50 different programs to do what all Norton does.

Are there any other all in one suites out there that you like better than Norton?

Thanks for any advise/comments!

Advertisements

hellawaits

hellawaits

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello there.... :)
I might not be an expert in PC's , but I had Norton AV some time ago and eventually got rid of it... resourse hog= SLOWS DOWN YOUR PC. uses a lot of memory that otherwise could be used to store other stuff (more important to you) it might even use your ram when you need it the most (slows your pc).

Im just givin' you my humble opinion , when you have a program and it does what it promises you won't mind (It happened to me ) but when you start needing more and better performance from your PC you'll start trying to find out how to do that (just like right now , you're questioning the performance of your NIS)
anyways.... :D

Thanks to Geeks To Go I found about AVG FREE EDITION and let me tell you.... it's GREAT!!!!
One thing it's true I have other programs to back the AVG , but AVG is an Antivirus I also have the Ewido , Firefox as my browser (I hate IE!!!!)
So in my opinion and experience (and like they tell you here, one program alone is not gonna give you all the protection you need there are so many different ways that a comp. is vulnerable and you should try to protect it from different angles , if you know what I mean)
Recently I told a co-worker of mine about AVG and that's all we talk about (everytime we start talkin' about comp.) he loves it and he used to have Norton in his laptop.

http://www.geekstogo...action=cat&id=3

Ok , I better stop or I'll never finish... check the link there is so much good info in this website that I still haven't read it all. But check the link and read and give other programs a try most likely you'll find one that you'll love and trust... or maybe you'll stick to NIS ... it's your choice... GOOD LUCK!!!! thumbsup: :whistling: :blink: :help: :) :) :D

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yeh i agree with hellawaits get AVG. The only thing is you will also need a firewall and so I recommend zonealarm which is also free. At the moment i'm using AVG free edition for anti-virus, zonealarm for firewall and windows defender (also free and its from microsoft) for spyware. And I do think that Norten is a massive RAM hog.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I hear what both you guys are saying. Makes sense that I'm ok with Norton for now because I've not required more from my RAM and such, but should the day come and Norton causes me problems, then I'll regret it. But.... AVG did not get a good rating in PC Mag, and like I mentioned before the biggest appeal that Norton has for me is the "All-in-one" feature.

I've got all the "greats" for spyware (Spybot S&D, Adaware, etc...) but what about scanning incoming emails for viruses? Does AVG do that?

Thanks for replying!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Really it got a bad review, last few reviews in mags actually went as far to call it Norton killer, last one i read reviewed it with Avast AV which is what i use and it gave Avast the better review because its not all that much better as an AV really but its much more polished and has the on-access scanners you are looking for it does your email, but it scans IM and P2P as well as normal net traffic, so its a mini firewall, which with windows and your hardware firewalls will catch most things, you can still use zonealarm though if you want the extra security.

Problem with norton is it ineffieceint in terms of resources and its ability as a viruse scanner it consitstently gets a lower rating than AVG and Avast for detection and removal which considering it is a paid service isnt great. And its very invasive if you try to do something it thinks you shouldnt then itll get very uncooperative and it can be hard to remove.

If you want the best and are willing to pay NOD32 and kapersky are widely agknowledged as the best AVs you can get, cost the same or less than norton does as well.