Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can XP function with different files systems on different drives?

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I'm getting ready to do the three PC shuffle...the oldest has needed programs and files migrated to a better PC and that PC has some of its contents migrated to the new build that is up and running. But I'm not sure if I'm going to have a problem. The oldest computer (that will go to my son) runs XP Pro with NTFS files system. The system some of its contents are to go to runs XP Home with FAT32 on a single drive. I have a nice second 80GB drive available that I would like to install on the receiving PC so that I can load the OS on one drive and put all other applications and data on the second drive. If I format the second drive as NTFS will it function properly with the existing drive running FAT32?

Advertisements

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
How to convert Fat32 to NTFS in XP read carefully.

http://www.microsoft...convertfat.mspx

Note Some older programs may not run on an NTFS volume, so you should research the current requirements for your software before converting.

Regards,
TakeBK