Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The value of an AMD 64 FX60...?

• Please log in to reply

La Mano Nera

La Mano Nera

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I plan on building a top notch gaming macine, and I totally don't mind spending top dollar on an FX60 if it's worth it (I'll just have to save up longer...)

Is the FX60 going to last me a long time? Is it a huge upgrade over, say, a x2 4800+ etc.? As I said, $1,000 seems pretty steep, but if it's the best... Is it?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Save your money, buy the X2 4800+, or if you're adventurous, overclock an Opteron 165-170.

La Mano Nera

La Mano Nera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm always up for a little adventure, and I've been reading up on the Opterons.

For $3xx dollars, I've heard people say they can get 2.6 ghz- 2.8 ghz. Someone even said they got it up to 3.0 ghz.- higher than anything the FX-60 can get. What's the catch? (if there is one).

How does the whole Overclocking thing work? Would an overclocked 170 be as stable as an FX-60? Would it crap out on me? I don't get it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Overclocking requires a little bit of knowledge and it is dangerous, you would need to get faster ram in order to do it.

The reason the opterons can overclock more is because they are designed with more silicon and so are cooler this is because they are server chips and need to be on all the time in there normal environment so you watn them to stay a bit cooler, but this can also be good if you want to overclock it as overclocking produces more heat than normal. The Fx-60s on the other hand are the top pick of the athlons these are the normal user chips and have less silicon but are the best chips in that range and are hand picked as the best chips.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah, If I were you I would get an opteron. The opterons are the best deal right now if you are a hardcore gamer/multi-tasker. I think you will really enjoy and be very glad you bought a opteron. You only pay a fraction of the price and you get the same speed as an fx-60 basically (most of the time) Not all versions of the opteron chip can achieve to fx60 speeds or higher.

2.6ghz is possible with a top brand mobo like DFI and good cooling would be the way to go.

Its really easy to hit 2.4ghz with the opterons. You can even hit 2.5-2.6 on stock voltage that I have herd from some people.

Like I said it depends which stepping of the opteron cpu you get also.

The CCB1E Stepping is the best I believe.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I have an Opteron 165 running at 300mhz FSB, 2.7ghz. Using air and just a small voltage boost. I also have 600mhz (PC4800) DDR RAM, so I can run a 1:1 RAM divider, but it's really not worth the extra money. Any quality DDR PC3200 RAM will work just fine. You will need a quality motherboard. I have a DFI, and it's rock solid. :whistling: