Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Disk not deducting

• Please log in to reply

umesh90

umesh90

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello

I Have a PC with following config

Celeron 333/128MB SD RAM with bus speed 100MHZ/HDD 20 GB/ Intel chip set Kobian Make Motherboard( I dont Know The chip Set)

The Hard disk failed and we wanted to upgrade it with a resent 40 GB 5400 RPM seagate hard disk. It is not deducting. While a older seagate ( 4 Year older) 40 GB by making the jumper setting for 32 GB is deducted

please help matter most urgent

Umesh

Advertisements

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
It sounds to me like your motherboard does not support hard drives bigger than 32GB. If this is the case, then the thing to do would be to upgrade your motherboard, which would also cause you to have to upgrade your cpu(unless you find a mobo that supports your cpu and >40GB), or stick with what you've got.

umesh90

umesh90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeh I can under stand that. I dont even bother whether it identifies 32 GB. My problem is one 40 GB HDD is accepted and another is not

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try updating the bios on the card...that may make a difference....it's possible that the bios can't recognize the newer drive (also as was pointed out it may not be able recognize the larger drive...as you say that if you "jumper" the old 40gig as 32 gig then it works...dont know what jumper you're talking about but...that would be fixed by a bios update if one is available)

umesh90

umesh90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

try updating the bios on the card...that may make a difference....it's possible that the bios can't recognize the newer drive (also as was pointed out it may not be able recognize the larger drive...as you say that if you "jumper" the old 40gig as 32 gig then it works...dont know what jumper you're talking about but...that would be fixed by a bios update if one is available)

I am unable to identify the bios type.
How to find out which type of motherboard is installed.
No letters are visible over the bios chip or on the motherboard

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for system information

Look at the manufacturer’s site for the suitable updates for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

umesh90

umesh90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Great utility, Tks a bunch, I have updated the bios and it is identifying the 40 Gb. You can close the topic

Thanks

Umashankar

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know