Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Installing A Graphics card...

• Please log in to reply

Insane Tadpole

Insane Tadpole

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, I just got a new GeForce 6600 PixelView AGP-8X 256MB Graphics card...I took my old graphics card out and put this one in and it started to make a loud high pitch nose...so I turned it off and started it again and it doesn't show anything on the screen....Can some one please help me....

Cheers

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Check to see if the puter will boot with the old card. You may have recieved a bad card. Take it back and exchange it for a new one. Nvidia cards are picky about their drivers. Before you pull the old card out of the computer you should have removed the old nvidia drivers( or any other drivers for video). Install the new video card, let windows boot up( your display will be awful, 16 colors at 640x480), then install the new drivers for the card.

I've had various things happen by leaving the old drivers in the puter. Blank screens, continuous rebooting, odd colors, etc.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did the computer or the card make a high pitched noise.

Was it fan noise, like a wire touching the fan or a broken fan, or was it a capacitor that is broken(it would look mishsapen)