Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Screen resolution deleted?

• Please log in to reply

psychotic_jo

psychotic_jo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The other night I ran Disk Cleanup as I normally would, but for some reason it was running real slow, then my computer froze. I rebooted to find that somehow my screen resolution can now only be set at 800x600 and my colour can only be set at 'Lowest 4 bit'.

I've updated my drivers and such like but nothing seems to make a difference, I didn't know if adding components from my xp disc would work, but I wasn't sure which, and just to top it off, I can't find the [bleep] disc!

Any help/advice would be most appreciated!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which video adapter do you have

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Becuase of the crash it didn't boot into Safe mode on you did it?? Just a sill question but......you cant change res in SafeMode

Try a system restore to the day before you did the disk cleanup.

psychotic_jo

psychotic_jo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
That was exactly my thought, and one of the first things I tried, but its not my comp, its my girlfriends, and guess what? System restore wasn't turned on, so I can't even do that!! Grrrr

psychotic_jo

psychotic_jo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Which video adapter do you have

NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the software CD for the video card, uninstall the drivers, use device manager to uninstall the card then reboot

Install the drivers from the software CD

psychotic_jo

psychotic_jo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you have the software CD for the video card, uninstall the drivers, use device manager to uninstall the card then reboot

Install the drivers from the software CD

Well, I haven't actually looked for the software yet, but I did try disabling the video card and that did the trick! It'll do as a temporary solution, so for that - I thank you!! :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hopefully the software CD will let you run the card again

It may be worth trying earlier drivers which are close to the ones on the software CD if you cannot find it

I have ATI Cards and they say the best drivers are the ones supplied with the card and you should only update from those if you have performance problems