Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

amd 64 x2 cpu or amd 64 cpu?

• Please log in to reply

dancingcleo

dancingcleo

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi, for my new build I am trying to decide which processor to go for: an amd 64 cpu (maybe the 3800+ cpu or the 4000+) or an amd 64 x2 cpu (the 3800+ or 4200+). The new computer will mainly be used for gaming and I have heard some people say that the dual core processors are only worth it if you want to do loads of multi-tasking. However, I have heard other people saying they make a great difference to just general computer use. There doesn't seem to be that big a price difference and I was wondering if anybody had an opinion on this? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The single cores are better for the pure gaming side at the moment, but games are going more toward dual core in the future so its something you might want to have, and the dual cores still have pretty decent single core performance, a 3800+ is more than capable of good gaming performance if youve got a decent gfx card to back it up.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I agree with scot, single cores are better for gaming, but the dual cores are better for multitasking. Check into the opteron's, I got the opty 165 dual1.8's works great, and the price is good. I overclocked it to dual2.5's, made no difference really except on pcmark05. Id say go with dual core, it should be about $100 more than a sinlge core but you wont regret it.
-Pete.