Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN One Way Signal Problem (Switch Box)

• Please log in to reply

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I have a machine that is connected to a network domain. The transmission only goes one way, packets are being sent but nothing is being received. The domain and IP address check out. Workstation name is also correct. Whenever I browse 'computers near me' all I can see is one machine (the machine in question). I have it plugged into port #1 of my D-Link DSH 8 switch box and port 10 of my hub.

I think this a switch box issue as both LEDs for each port are on, except for port #1. Port #1 has the top LED off, but the bottom one is on.

Please help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the switch is port 1 by chance the uplink port? if so there's usually a switch somewhere to turn it off of uplink....same thin on the hub....what if you plug this machine into different ports on the swtich and hub?

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
No, the uplink port isn't numbered. It has the uplink port and then ports 1-8. The uplink port works fine. I cannot see any switch on the switch box or the hub. I have tried using different ports as suggested and I keep getting the 'network cable unplugged' message. I have tested the cable and it works fine...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
and i'm assuming you've checked the nic card and made sure the drivers are correct...have you tried a different nic?

you say this is a domain machine right?can you ping any othere devices on the newtork?...how bout the loopback (172.0.0.1)? have you ACTUALLY joined the domain with the machine? if so is the machine showing up in the computers group in AD?

Falkens_Maze

Falkens_Maze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

and i'm assuming you've checked the nic card and made sure the drivers are correct...have you tried a different nic?

you say this is a domain machine right?can you ping any othere devices on the newtork?...how bout the loopback (172.0.0.1)? have you ACTUALLY joined the domain with the machine? if so is the machine showing up in the computers group in AD?

I cannot ping other machines from this particular machine.

The NIC is fine, the light is on. Drivers check out also.

The machine is on the domain. In fact this machine was on the network two weeks ago. we moved it yesterday, same cable, and connected it to the same port on the switch box and the same port on the hub as before. Now the signal is one way.

Before, both lights for port 1 on the switch box were on (this was when it was on the network, before the problem ocurred) not the top light is off but the bottom one flashes on and off at random intervals.

Mr.KnowItAll

Mr.KnowItAll

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
full duplex got anything to do with this situation?