Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Passwor bypass for the checkpoint Ithr on Dell GX280

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Skratche

Skratche

• Pip
  • 1 posts
On startup, my Dell OptiPlex GX 280 is prompting for a system password that I never set in CMOS. After 3 unsuccessful attempts, I get this message:

Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [Ithr]. For help in resolving this problem, please note this checkpoint and contact Dell Technical Support.

This happens after I hit the power button & after the Dell & Intel logos are displayed.

No beeps whatsoever.

Kindly advise on what I should do to bypass the password.

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Contact Dell, make sure you have your service tag number handy as they will need it. It should be on the comp. case towards the bottom. Their tech support is really good in my opinion, they have online IM style support.
-Pete.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Skratche, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

I am not sure if this is allowed but if not please notify me and I will edit it out.

edited out advice due to T.O.S. WE WILL NOT HELP YOU GET AROUND PASSWORDS...ESPECIALLY CMOS PASSWORDS

Cool, let me know if this was what you were looking for. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
edited out advice due to T.O.S. WE WILL NOT HELP YOU GET AROUND PASSWORDS...ESPECIALLY CMOS PASSWORDS but since its a dell i would talk to there tech support and double check make sure its not going to void any warranties you have left.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also just as a note...it's impossible (in my experience) for a CMOS password to be set without human intervention...they DO NOT get set by corruption or anything of that nature...which leads me to believe that you're trying to get into a computer that isn't yours or at least that you do not have controll over....so since people have responded to this thread BEFORE a mod getting here...you' got lucky and got answers (which i will edit out so they cannot be used for future reference by nare-do-wells)...any time your computer tells you to call tech support...call tech support....and don't try to bypass passwords on the system.