Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help with new motherboard

• Please log in to reply

jack_hill

jack_hill

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey i need to buy a new motherboard from scan.co.uk but im confused with all of them so could someone help me out choosing one. i need one with at least 6 usb connectors 1 firewire connector and a pci express slot.ive got a advent 3618 with a 3200+ amd athlon 64 processor (2.0ghz) ive got 2 cd drives a floppy drive 2 hard drives and a card reader thingy i never use for smartmedia or sd cards i think. i need it compatible with 350 watt power supply as well.

Advertisements

sposes

sposes

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
How much money are you willing to spend?
Is there a particular brand name you are interested in?
Are you a gamer?

After looking up the advent 3618 system I can see aditional data:

http://www.uktsuppor...ent/pc/3618.htm

Your board will also need to spuort DDR400 RAM if you intend on reuseing your existing memory.

Edited by sposes, 07 April 2006 - 02:59 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well all PCI-e AMD motherboards support DDR400 and in fact all of the AGP A64 compatible boards ive seen are DDR400 so that not going to be a problem.

What you are looking for is a socket 754 AMD motherboard with PCI-e basically the rest of what you want is pretty much standard. Was looking for info on the abit 754 pci-e board and was reading a review on custom pc and they reccomend this http://www.custompc....5/abit-nv8.html as the best one they reviewes and reading what is available that seems as good a choice as any.

From what i gather there is also an MSI 754 mobo using the nforce 3 chipset.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 April 2006 - 06:05 PM.