Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd/wr disk drive

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I have installed a CD/WR drive in computer, but at startup where memory is checked, and IDE's are sumarrized, I don't get a text lilne saying CD-ROM found, like I used to on my Windows 98SE.

Waynf

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I just booted a PC with XP Home, it went splash screen, xp logo, welcome, desktop

I don't recall XP Pro showing that either

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Have you checked that the jumpers are correctly set? Check both the CD-RW and any other drive on the same cable. While you are doing that, also check to make sure the cable is installed correctly. If it doesn't have an alignment tab, check for the pin 1 locator on the drive and either the red wire on the ribbon cable or the pin 1 marker on a round cable. Also check to make sure the molex connecter (power) is plugged in all the way.

If that doesn't do the trick, when you first start ou the computer, go into the CMOS setup screen. There will be a message that says 'Press DEL key to enter setup' or something to that effect. Press the key it says once, and it will go to the CMOS setup screen. Look for the IDE section and make sure that the controller you attached the drive to is set to auto scan for the drive.

Let us know if that works.