Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to install Wininet.dll

• Please log in to reply

Notaclue

Notaclue

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi! I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows Xp. When I turned it on the other day, I got the following error message: IExploreOXC0000022. The screensaver appeared, but no icons or start menu. Using Ctrl-Alt-Del I was able to run the free AVG Anti-Virus program which found the WIN32/NSAG virus. I guarantineed the virus, but now the computer still only gets as far as my screensaver (no icons or start menu) and sends an error message that the application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found and that re-installing the application may fix the problem.
My questions:

Can I reinstall WININET.DLL by using the Toshiba Recovery Disk or is there an easier or better way?

If I use the recovery disk, will I lose all my files, pictures, and programs?

If I'm going to lose all my pictures, is there any way I can back up these programs before I run the disk?

At this time, I cannot get on the internet and only know how to get to some things through Ctrl-Alt-Del. I'm really new at this so please provide help in very simplified terms. Thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

Insert the CD in non-functioning CD, set the PC to boot to the cd-rom first in the boot order section of bios (get there by pressing f1,f2, or del depending on machine while memory is counting up)

When boot begins, a windows setup will appear to start, but you will be taken to a recovery console. You will need to select your windows installation by pressing a number, then typing in the administrator password, which is blank for XP Home or whatever you set when you installed your machine for XP Pro.

After entering the password, you will find yourself at a command prompt

type
copy C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 c:\windows\system32
<enter>

Eject CD and reboot...

work?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there is a chance that you will not have the folder

c:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

(if for example, you start this PC with service pack 2 installed)

The standard reply would be to copy the file from

c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache, but that file is likely the infected trojan. If the above folder does not exist, we will have to try something slightly different

Notaclue

Notaclue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi After windows set up, I was given option of set up Windows XP, Repair Windows XP installation or quit. I chose repair which took me to the Recovery Console. When asked which windows installation I chose 1: C:\Windows. I left Administrator password blank. On the C:\Windows> I typed what you had written, but was told the command is not recognized and to type HELP for a list of supported commands. Here's the list
Attrib Batch Bootcfg CD CHDIR CHKDSK CLS COPY DEL DELETE DIR DISABLe DISKPART ENABLE EXIT EXPANED FIXBOOT FIXMBR FORMAT HELP LISTSVC LOGON MAP MD MKDIR MORE NET RD REN RENAME RMDIR SYSTEMROOT TYPE
I tried COPY but it said the parameter is not valid. I typed exit. Computer booted up with the same Explorer.EXE -Unable to Locate Component error because WININET.dll was not found.
HELP!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whoops, type what I meant not what I typed!

copy C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\wininet.dll c:\windows\system32

Notaclue

Notaclue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The computer still states it does not recognize the command and to type HELP for a list of supported commands.