Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Printer Problems

• Please log in to reply

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi, I have this laser printer plugged into my switch with my other computers. Now it can print a hardware test page and tells me that it has no ip which is a must have for printing to work. Its a HP Laserjet 4000 N however I don't thnk I have the software that came with it. How do I use one of my computers to give the printer a static ip?

Tjvelcro

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the printer
press the menu button till <information menu> is displayed
press the item button till <print configuration> appears
press select to print the configuration page..

that SHOULD tell you what the printer's current ip address is...as there should be one by default...IF there is an IP address on the printer currently....change your computer's ip address to be within the same range (i.e. all but the last number of the ip should be the same) and then type the printer's ip address into your webbrowser...that should get you to the printer's admin page whre you can set up a new ip and all that jazz (the manual claims that the device will default to an ip of 192.0.0.192 so try that ...make your machine's ip 192.0.0.2 or soemthing like that and try the webpage)

IF your printer DOESN"T currently have an ip address then you can use the EIO menu of the printer to set that up

http://h20000.www2.h...28/bpl05328.pdf manual for the 4000 series printers