Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MY Laptop kees restarting

• Please log in to reply

velocity09

velocity09

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Help me Please! I need to access some files that I have yet my laptop (Windows XP) keeps restarting over and over, I cannot access windows at all, I've tried starting it in safe mode and practically all the options that are given when I hit F8!! I don't know a whole lot of computers but I'm willing to try anything to recover my laptop. thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you get into bios? (usually either del or f2 during boot)
if so can you find a section called "pc health" or something of that nature and check the system temps IMMEDIATELY after a reboot?
are you getting any error messages or blue screens?
did you install any software/hardware before this happened?
do you have (or have access to) a valid copy of windows XP (the same version as the one that was originally installed i.e. home or pro, service pack 1 or service pack 2)

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
when I press del nothing happens but with f2 all that I get is Check System. Then press f1 key_

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I'm sorry I can't find the xp disc, I don't remember the disc being included when I bought the laptop!, it was pre-installed. and no I did not add/remove any software.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what make and model is the laptop?
during boot you should see a message either at the top or bottom that says press <something> to enter setup...press that

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
it's a toshiba a 65-s126, I am able to enter system septup.

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
can anyone please help me out? I'm not sure what to do from here, I'm at the system set up...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in system setup look for a section that mentions pc health or something of that nature and see if you can find the system temps

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I can't find anything of that nature, pc health or system tems, all i have is;
password
battery
peripheral
display
others:power up mode,cpu cache,level 2 cache, auto power on
boot priority
system date/time

on page 2 i have:
I/O ports
PCi Bus
Legacy Emulation
Drives I/O
PCI Lan

I'm sorry if it's one of those and I can't recognize that it's the same as system tems.
thank you

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
at what point during boot does the machine restart?
and you say you tried each option to get into windows (i.e. safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, etc...) did you see an option called "enable vga mode"? dd you try that...what EXACTLY happens when you try the safemode options

Advertisements

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
let me try enable vga mode, it restarts as soon as the toshiba logo comes up along with a intel inside logo.

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I tried it "enable vga mode" and it still restarts it doesn't pass the first screen where the toshiba and intel inside logo appear, i've noticed that if i press f12 there are four options on that screen where i can choose between four different small logos, one of three cds, a one cd, an old floppy disc logo and what seems like two papers with arrows pointing to each other.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do the logo's have any words next to them..cuz that description means nothing to me heheheh

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
when i press f 12 and then choose the two papers it takes me to a screen where it says [ pxe e-61 media test failure] I'm not sure exactly what that means

velocity09

velocity09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
no they don't