Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virtual memory

• Please log in to reply

adamdillon

adamdillon

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I had a question about the benefits and disadvantages of using alot of virtual memory. Could raising the amount of virtual memory be a substitute for adding ram?

Could you list some pros and cons of this?

Advertisements

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yes, virtual memory can be a subsitute for adding RAM, however, it will not increase the speeed of yoru system like RAM does to a certain extent. The thing about virtual memory is that it runs off your hard drive, so it is considerably slower than RAM. If you plan on relying heavily on vitural memory, the best performance option would to get another hard drive specifically for virtual memory. You can put other files on it too, but the main thing is not to have the virtual memory on the same hard drive as the operation system. The problem with this is that if your computer has a system fialure, it can not do a memory dump with creates a log file. so Ideally, the best thing to do is to have a paging file on both the os hard drive, and a separate hard drive. If you need any more details, just ask.

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
i would like more details, i am addinf a 8 gig hard drive and i want it to be doing something useful.

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Ok, here's what you can do:
(I'm assuming you're running XP on the machine you are talking about, since you say you have XP on your gtg profile)

1. go to Start>control Panel
2.double click on the "System" icon
3.click on the "advanced" tab
4.under the "Performacne" section of the advanced tab, push the "settings" button
5.in the performance options window that pops up, click on the "advanced' tab
6. At the bottom of the advanced tab is the "virtual memory" section. Click on the "change" button.
7.The "Virtual memory" window now pops up, and at the top there is a box which shows the hard drives installed on the system. Select the one which you want to add/modify/romove a paging file on.
8.Underneath the box with the available hard drives is where you can adjust the settings for the paging file of the dirve selected.

Here are a few different settings you can do that I reccommend.

1. Performance with recovery options - Highest reccommendation
  • On the hard drive with the operating system, have the paging file set to a minimum of the amount of RAM installed on your system. This is where a memory dump will be placed if one occurs. Push the set button once completed
  • On the extra hard drive, set the paging file to at least 1.5 times the amount of RAM installed on your system. Push the set button once completed
2.Best Performance
  • Click on the hard drive with the operating system on it, and select "No Paging file". Push the set button once completed
  • On the extra hard drive, set the paging file to at least 1.5 times the amount of RAM installed on your system. ***Note, in the event of a critical stop error, your computer will not be able to perform a memory dump if there is no paging file on the hard drive with operating system if there is not paging file, or it is not bit enough (at least the size of the amount of RAM you have on your computer.)
So, those are the options you have. I'll attach some screen shots of how to get to the place where you can change your paging file. good luck!

[img]
http://www.mountainjewelsranch.com/gtg%20a...s/ctrlpanel.jpg
[/img]
[img]
http://www.mountainjewelsranch.com/gtg%20attatchments/2.jpg
[/img]
[img]
http://www.mountainjewelsranch.com/gtg%20attatchments/3.jpg
[/img]
[img]
http://www.mountainjewelsranch.com/gtg%20attatchments/4.jpg
[/img]

tom_beach22

tom_beach22

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
thanks, i will do that

adamdillon

adamdillon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
thank you guys for the help. this was my first post on here and you guys did great.