Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 server migration

• Please log in to reply

sherm

sherm

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am trying to migrate the active directory from an existing 2000 server domain to a new domain computer I just purchased. Checking through some other help pages on the web, I found out that I must connect my the new domain to the old domain as an additional domain computer. The problem is that my new computer will not connect as an additional domain. I am using dcpromo to attempt this and it says "The domain "mydomain" cannot be contacted. Select a different domain.

I have a network connection installed and working in the new computer.

Any help would be great.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you see this KB article?

http://support.micro...spx?kbid=822704

sherm

sherm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks gerryf!

I will try that fix as soon as I ok it with my employer. I shall post my results after.

Thanks,
Sherm

sherm

sherm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I talked to my employer and we tried to do the fix on the kb article but the file NT4Emulator doesn't exist in our domain's registry. Is there anything else that could be stopping my new server from connecting to the old one?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I think that something is getting lost in the translation here--what are you running on the new computer (serer 2000 or 2003)

What is your goal--to replace the server, change domains and move AD objects from one domain to another?

sherm

sherm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am currently running a dc with server 2000.
I wish to replace the current dc with a new server I just purchased.
On the new server I am running server 2000 also.

I need to move my AD from the current to the new so I can decomission the current one.

I was told to use DCPromo.exe to make the new server into an additional domain for the current server. When I run DCPromo I get an error that says it can't connect to the current server domain.

I don't want to change domain. I want to leave the domain just change the domain controller. The old one is practically falling apart because it is an old computer.

Edited by sherm, 20 April 2006 - 02:09 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so you mean you are using dcpromo to create another DOMAIN CONTROLLER, not create another DOMAIN

Then, after the Active Directory database promulgates to the new DC, you will decommission the old (first) DC.

OK,,,that's more clear--heading out right now but will get back to you

sherm

sherm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks, I can sure use the help

sherm

sherm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Did you figure it out gerryf?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Goodness, I lost track of this thread. Sorry, I have been incommunicado for the past couple of weeks (bad time of year for me).

Are you still in a pickle here?

sherm

sherm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, all the sites I have tried to follow just make things worse. I've tried redoing the active directory which was a hard feat and still haven't had any success.

Luckily, my boss has put me on other assignments to do in the mean time and has forgotten about this one. Help in completing this is very helpful.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Handy troubleshooting list for this issue

1. Verify that the existing domain controller is pointing to a Windows 2000 DNS server. Do not point it to any external ISP DNS servers.

2. Open the DNS MMC, double click forwarders so that you can see the zone for your domain.

3. Right click on this zone and select properties. Verify that your zone is set to allow dynamic updates, if not change it so that it does.

4. Double click your zone to expand it. You should have 4 subfolders
(_MSDCS, _SITES, _TCP, _UDP) and a few records.

5. If the zones do not exist you should open a command prompt.

6. Type IPconfig /registerdns and enter

7. Type net stop netlogon

8. Type net start netlogon (restarting netlogon wil force the service to register its SRV records with the DNS zone thus creating the missing subfolders. The records that will be registered are in winnt\system32\config\netlogon.dns).

9. After restarting netlogon go back into your DNS zone and verify that you have the subfolders mentioned before.

10. If the folders are not there you may want to try running netdiag.exe
/fix from the support tools. Or try restarting netlogon again.

11. On the DC that you are trying to promote verify that it is pointing to
the Windows 2000 DNS server that we have been working on for DNS.

12. Go to a command prompt and type

nslookup (your dc's name).(domainname).com

to verify that you can get a reply.

13. type nslookup and hit enter

14. type set type=srv and enter

15. type _ldap._tcp.domainname.com and hit enter

16. you should see something like this if it works.

_ldap._tcp.domain.com SRV service location:
priority = 0
weight = 100
port = 389
svr hostname = computername.domainname.com
computername.domainname.com internet address = 192.168.0.1
computername.domainname.com internet address = 25.65.3.81

17. Try running dcpromo, it should work.