Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Device Manager Setup

• Please log in to reply

domer

domer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe MB wihich I want to connect an EIDE drive for the OS and Programs and a SATA drive for storage and backup. After loading Windows XP Home, I note there are ? marks next to several of the controllers for which the drivers are on my MB CD. What happens if I disable the SCSI controller? Does it do anything for me with the drive setup I described?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows sometimes mark RAID/SATA controllers as SCSI Controllers when it doesn't have any drivers for them. You probably don't have any SCSI controllers in your computer and the device in question is probably your onboard SATA.

Install all the drivers from the motherboard CD and see how many of the question marks disappear, hopefully all of them.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I can't remember for sure, but I think the SCSI controller is actually one of the SATA controllers. There are two SATA controllers on the A8V mobo. The Promise controller does all the cool RAID stuff for either SATA or PATA drives. The VIA VT8237 RAID controller just does SATA RAID. I would run through all the installiation programs that came with the mobo disk to install all the drivers. I am actually using this board at home, so I could check it out when I get there. But I do recall disabling the Promise controller in CMOS since I wasn't using it. (It made it boot a little faster.)

But what devices have the ?'s next to them? And have you tried installing the drivers form the CD?