Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reload XP

• Please log in to reply

aileen.miller

aileen.miller

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey folks. My computer is being a jerk these days. Errors, crashes, lost and missing files, etc... I have a disk to reload XP(SP2), but I can't get the install prompt to work and I can't format C. Am I stuck with this mess. If I can't get it working I'll have to buy a Mac! I'm not sure that is such a bad thing...
Aileen

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello aileen...

Is your installation cd a retail version from Microsoft, or a Recovery cd from the computer manufacturer? You may have options available other than a format/reinstall.

If your heart is set on formatting, we can do that, too...but...I'll still need to know if the cd is retail or OEM.

wannabe1

aileen.miller

aileen.miller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My CD is a Microsoft one, not a recovery CD. At one point I had to uninstall AVG because it was causing an error, so I don't know if I have a virus. It is so unstable, I can't download.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have you visited the malware forum?

Most of the time, a reformat is unneeded

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello aileen...

With a retail version of XP in hand, you've got way more options than with OEM Recovery sets.

As gerryf said, it's important that the machine is free of malware before attempting any repairs. Why not have a run through the Malware Forum and post a log for them to analyze. If there are any nasties on there, they can help you clean it up.

Once you have a clean bill of health from the malware folks, if you are still having stability problems, try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

aileen.miller

aileen.miller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The malware fixes seem quite involved. What is the danger if I reformat? I have saved all my files and pictures on CD. Can I just try the repair suggested without doing all the fixes, or will the 'nasties' interfere with the repair? I did a Hijack This log last year, but it couldn't be evaluated without Service Pack 2 and I couldn't download it. Thanks for your time and patience, guys!
Aileen

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
aileen.miller...

As the Repair procedure only replaces system files, I wouldn't recommend doing it on a questionable machine. You'll end up back in the same boat you're in now. Our malware experts are very good at what they do and can walk you through the toughest job fairly painlessly. Those folks amaze me with their abilities.

The remaining option would be to format the drive and do a clean install of Windows. This is fairly well automated in XP as long as you follow the guide and pay attention. If you want to do that, I can link you to a good guide. Just be sure that you have ALL the files you want to keep backed up on other media...the format will remove everything on the drive.

wannabe1

aileen.miller

aileen.miller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't really have much important stuff on my P.C. I just do some letters and stuff and use the email and internet. Except for photos, I can't really lose much, so I think I want to do the reinstall. I think that will be the simplest for me. I'm not technically gifted like you all!
Thanks for all your help!
Aileen