Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video not working, Just getting a blank screen

• Please log in to reply

marlinnhag

marlinnhag

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so i was given this compaq and asked if i could fix it for them... They told me they couldnt get a picture on the screen when they turned it on... So I figured sure no prob its ethier the monitor or the video card one needs to be replaced... Well after testing them the monitor works fine. Now the compaq computer had the video card built in the case calls it a "intergrated savage4 AGP4x 3D graphics card with 8mb allocated video memory" so when i plug the monitor in there it obviously doesnt work but the computer also had a AtI 3D Rage pro turbo pci card installed in it so I tryed plugging the monitor in there and it still didnt work so I took that card out and tried it in a different computer and it worked fine... So I thought maybe its settings but how can I change settings if I cant see anything... Is this a problem with the motherboard. ??? Can it be fixed or is the best bet to buy a new board??? The computer does turn on i hear the hard drive spinning and all that just no picture... From what I can tell the motherboard it a "Uwave2" It is a 1.2Ghz AMD atholon processor with 384kb on chip cache memory... Its 128mbs ram and a 40 gig drive...

Any help would greatly be appreciated...
Thanks
Marlinn

Advertisements

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
This sounds like either a motherboard or cpu problem. the first thing to do is to take out the cpu, and check and see if any pins are bent. (please refer to your manual to see how to remove the cpu.) If there is a pin bent, VERY CAREFULLY try to bend it back into place. If there is not pin bent, the next thing to do is to try the cpu in a different computer with the SAME motherboard, or a motherboard that supports the cpu. If the processor works in another computer, its the motherboard. If another cpu works in the computer you're trying to fix, its the cpu. The thing to do next would be to buy the proppoer part to repair the computer. Good luck!

marlinnhag

marlinnhag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah no bent pins... and unfortunately with the four disected computers i have in front of me the CPU wont fit in any of the other for a test... Im going to take a gmable and just buy a new motherboard I think... the ones ive seen for this are only like 45$ so we'll see if that works if you think of anyhitng else that i could try let me know...

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
One thing you can try is to reset the bios settings. If there was another video card in the machine they might have disabled the motherboard video and if there was a problem with the driver or the slot, then it would not have any video. Often there is a jumper you can set to reset it. Sometimes you need to pull the battery and wait around a minute or so, reinstall the battery and see if it displays on the motherboard video.