Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Zero Configuration

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi,

My pc was running very slowly . . . i.e., it took about 10 minutes to reboot. Someone told me to Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /flushdns.

It worked beautifully. My pc speed is more than twice as fast as it was before.

However, I read this article:

http://www.iceteks.c...le=ndisuio&p=1

and I decided to permanently turn off NDIS Computer Management > Services > Wireless Zero Configuration > Disable :whistling:

And that was a mistake. Everytime I opened a page, I received a message that NDIS was receiving something and asked if I wanted it to continue. I checked the box "do not ask again" but it continued to pop up for every page I visited.

So I decided to enable it again, which was easy to do . . . Computer Management > Services > Wireless Zero Configuration > Automatic. The only problem is that in Start > Run > msconfig > Services > Wireless Zero Configuration is "Stopped" so that I continue to get the messages. When I try to click on it to set it up as "Running," nothing happens. I can't change the setting.

My pc is my personal pc. Nobody uses it but me so I'm the Administrator and this is an Administrator setting. I seem to not be able to change Administrator settings, even if I want to Schedule a program to run, i.e, Ad-Aware. When I try, I receive a message that asks me for my passwowrd and since I don't have or need a password, I receive a message that essentially says that since I'm not the Administrator, the scheduled program may not run, and it doesn't.

When I boot my pc, it boots automatically to my desktop. I tried logging off from my desktop as Owner but there's no Administrator icon, just my one icon, named "Owner."

So I have two questions:

What settings do I need to change so that my pc will recognize me as the Administrator?

How do I change Start > Run > msconfig > Services > Wireless Zero Configuration from "Stopped" to "Running?"

Denise

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't use msconfig for long term fixes...only testing

Start > Run > msconfig > general tab, choose NORMAL START UP

Now, start > run, type
services.msc
<enter>

scroll down to wireless zero configuration, double click, choose AUTOMATIC in the start up type dropdown box, then press START button

If you have windows XP home, administrator is accessible in safe mode only.

You can adjust this with a registry hack, or by downloading the tweakui powertoy for windows xp from
http://www.microsoft...ppowertoys.mspx

Install and load.

Go to logon, then check SHOW ADMINISTRATOR LOGON ON WELCOME SCREEN

The unintended consequence of this is that you will no longer automatically boot to your desktop, but will stop at the logon screen

To address this (if desired), expand the logon section (the +) and go to Autologon and input the desired logon to autologon

To use this feature, your logon must be password protected...will not work if password is blank. To set a password, go to USER ACCOUNTS in control panel (this should be your first step before the rest)
Off the top of my head--I'm ashamed to admit I cannot recall--

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Thanks Gerry, It was helpful info and easy to create a user account/add a password.

Regarding DNS, I was working on my pc for hours yesterday and found that by changing the setting in Services, it also changed the setting in msonfig, and I just now enabled all in msconfig when I read your reply (except for some Startup programs, such as Webshots, etc)

But whether I have the setting on Disabled, Manual or Automatic, I can't flush DNS. I receive the following message:

Windows IP Configuration

Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function Failed During Execution.

Why won't it flush?

When I was on the net for about 6 hours at a p2p site, I received a message that said that the DNS Cache was full, and it shut down the program. I had it Disabled at the time.

I have Windows XP, by the way. I should have told you that in my first post.

Denise

Edited by Denisejm, 08 April 2006 - 04:04 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you cannot flush dns if the dns client service is not running.

(why did you shut it down)

start > run
services.msc
<enter>

scroll down to dns client, is the status STARTED ?

If not, double click, and click the start button

Set the start up type to AUTOMATIC.

Reboot, now flush.

I am curious about that warning....I do not think it was what you think it was.

Also, there is a trojan out there that rewrites your host file to redirect all dns requests to servers controlled by the trojan owner/writer.

Any chance that is going on?

Check your host file

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

what does it look like (open in notepad)

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Hi Jerry,

I don't have an etc file --> C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc Should I create one?

dns client was set to manual but it wasn't running. I started it and set it on automatic. I never shut this one of or changed its settings. I explained the reasons why I turned off NDIS in my first post.

I ran all of my spyware/malicious software/adware programs this morning and nothing showed up. I just ran McAfee Avert Stinger and no trojans/worms showed up. I have Sygate Firewall and Avast running all the time.

Denise

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc is a folder, not a file, and you must have one....it would be extraoridinarily odd if you did not.

Inside etc is where a file called HOSTS is

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
incidently, did you try flushing dns after turning the client on?

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I don't have a folder named etc. I looked in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. No etc folder. I then did a search for etc, checking hidden files and system folders also and it didn't show up. Maybe that's what my problem is.

I haven't tried flushing dns yet because I've been on the net since yesterday and haven't rebooted. I'll probably reboot tonight or tomorrow morning sometime and I'll let you know how it went.

Denise

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
do a search for HOSTS.SAM (look for hidden and system files)

Start > Search > advanced

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
There were no results for that file name.

Denise

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just so we are clear, your windows directory is c:\windows?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
and if so, what is in

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
My Windows directory is on my C drive.

There is one folder in the drivers folder . . . disdn (it's empty)

And 305 of these types of files: 1394bus, aavmker4, acpi, acpiec, adv01nt5.dll, adv02nt5.dll, aec, wstcodec

That's all there is in it.

Denise

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Gerry,

I just rebooted and I was able to flush the DNS cache.

Thanks for helping with that problem :whistling:
Denise

Edited by Denisejm, 10 April 2006 - 01:01 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, that's as it should be....now, the only question is --- why are your host files missing?

They are not critical for most computers, but it is odd they are missing. I wonder if Windows XP home does not use them?

Is this Windows XP home?