Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VERY slow start-up

• Please log in to reply

KillEmAll83

KillEmAll83

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
When I start my computer up, it takes about the usual time to get to the screen with the user accounts that everyone else's computer does. But, when I click on my account to login, it takes a LONG time.

At first, the taskbar and my wallpaper will show up. No desktop icons/shortcuts yet. In the bottom-right of the toolbar, some programs will eventually start-up. After a good 3-5 minutes, my desktop icons will show up. In the bottom right, programs are still popping up. After a while, MSN will try to load up, and completely freeze up my computer.

I now have to wait another few minutes before the computer responds again and MSN continues. Then, if everything is eventually loaded up, I can go on the internet.

And also, odd times while I'm on the computer it'll freeze up on me for a couple minutes.

Do I have too much on my computer?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi KillEmAll83...

Sounds like you have too many startup programs. Please download and run WinAudit. Save a report in either HTML or Excel format to your desktop. If you save as HTML, it will generate 3 files...I will only need the one named "rightframe.html". Attach the log to a PM to me.

This report will let me see all that you have running on the machine and I can also look at the hardware to see if there may be conflicts there.

wannabe1

KillEmAll83

KillEmAll83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hmm..... I can't figure out how to attach the file to a pm. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Below the message window look for this

Click browse to locate the file, click add attachment

then click add in to post

KillEmAll83

KillEmAll83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes, I have that when I want to post a regular message in the forum. I want to PM wannabe my file, though. All I get below the PM message window is this:

1.JPG

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
KillEmAll83...

Right off the bat, I found at least part of the problem. Your machine is infected with malware and some of the nasties are running on startup. Let's get that cleaned up before we start removing programs from the startup. Getting that stuff off the machine might even take care of the whole problem.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 April 2006 - 12:22 AM.

KillEmAll83

KillEmAll83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks for the help, wannabe. I'll do that right now. :whistling:

KillEmAll83

KillEmAll83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I can't get my computer to go into Safe Mode to do the Ewido step.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "BOOT.INI" tab, tick the box next to "/SAFEBOOT".
Select one of the following options:
  • MINIMAL for Safe Mode
  • NETWORK for Safe Mode with Networking (if you connect to the internet using an onboard network device, this will allow you to access the internet while in Safe Mode)
Click "Apply", then "Ok", and reboot.

Important: To start Windows XP normally, clear this check box next to /SAFEBOOT.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 April 2006 - 02:58 PM.

KillEmAll83

KillEmAll83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks for all the help, wannabe.

Here is my HijackThis log. :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure. :whistling:

I've subscribed to the topic in malware and will be following along.

wannabe1

KillEmAll83

KillEmAll83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks. :blink:

And wow, there's a lot of topics in there. Mine's already on the 3rd page. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Busy place, huh... :blink: That's cause they're the best on the net. Be patient, it's Sunday...And...the malware folks start with the older topics first so the farther back you go, the closer to the front of the line you get. Makes about as much sense as shutting the computer down by clicking "Start"... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 09 April 2006 - 07:29 PM.

KillEmAll83

KillEmAll83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
:whistling:

No worries, I'm a patient person.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok KillEmAll83...Loophole says you're clean...gimme a list of the remaing maladies and we'll get you fixed up! :whistling:

wannabe1