Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Checklist for my new machine

• Please log in to reply

Shifty54

Shifty54

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello.

I am here to see if there is any other suggestions you could make for the parts I have chosen, before I drop the axe for the buildoff.

The budget I am aiming for is 2200-2500, 80/20 split in favor of online/single player gaming over actual work. If anyone has any ideas for either better performance or quite possibly saving of money I would greatly appreciate it. With everything I have listed below it comes to 2,052.91 Shipped and without factoring in any rebates. So I do have some room to play with. I've done a handy amount of research and have chosen parts that hopefully will be able to keep me future proof for awhile.

Thanks for the help in advance.

PC:

Case:Aspire X-Navigator
Mobo:DFI Lanparty
CPU:AMD Opteron 170 Denmark
RAM:G.skill 2GB
Hard Drive:Western Digital 74GB Raptor 10,000RPM / Seagate Barracuda 7200 250GB
Video Card:eVGA 512-P2-N570 GeForce 7900GTX
Cooling:Zalman CNP9500 , Artic Silver 5 Paste
Card Reader:Bytecc 42 in 1 Card Reader
Power Supply:Fortron Source 700W

There it is in a nutshell. Mostly priced out from ZZF and NE. Hopefully my choices are alright and will work well this way, however if you guys have any input into something better, or a way to cut costs without sacrificing performance much, let me know. Thanks!

Shifty

Advertisements

ApolloGod

ApolloGod

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
HAve you considered SLI? It means that you have 2 video cards running instead of just one. It would mean overhauling your complete system here, because you would need a new motherboard, power supply and video cards. Just make sure that they're all SLI certified.

Also, man what are you thinking putting an Opteron in a gaming rig?!?! Go with an Athlon 64 atleast or, if you really want a sweet gaming platform, go with an athlon 64 FX. Those babies are incredible. I mean an Opteron is fine, but their bus speed is only 1000MHz and you're gonna want alot more for a gaming machine.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Apollogod maybe you should come back when you know your stuff better. Opterons at the moment are the prime choice for those with the overclocking inclination they use the same core as the Athlon x2s but have more silicon so remain cooler meaing they can overclock well beyond the athlons top speeds, also just as chips they are just as fast as the athlons and usually cheaper.

Your powersupply is a little overkill you shouldnt need more than 550 -600W in a high end system.
I would ditch the raptopr harddrive they actually arent terribly fast when lined up next to the 16Mb cache SATAII drives, they come out better in becnhamrks but when it comes to actuall game performance they arent as good for some reason youre better with bigger 16Mb cache drives.
If youre forking out the big bucks for the top of the line on gfx get a X1900XTX they are the fastest cards you can get right now.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ya, 2 of these in RAID 0 would be better and faster:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136010

One of, if not THE, best 550w PSU on the market:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817103941

Solid Aluminium is the way to go with air cooling. The SuperAlien has the best internal layout for both organization and cooling I have ever seen. Definatly the choice for a overclocker who's going to be in his case alot of the time, and is relying on air cooling. I have a SuperAlien and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
http://www.newegg.co...8&SubCategory=7

Otherwise it looks like a very good setup. Good luck!

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
The best powersupply right now is the POWER SUPPLY ANTEC TPII-550ATX RTL its really good you should check it out.

Shifty54

Shifty54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, Updated, downgraded and have pretty much the final conclusion for this rig. Pondered, wondered, studied and compared. Seems like this should be good and futureproof for a goodwhile. Will be making the purchase at the end of this month, oh the suspense is terrible.. I hope it'll last..

Case-ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA8NW-SS/500 Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Mobo-DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
VidCard-eVGA 512-P2-N570-AX Geforce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Power Supply-FSP Group (Fortron Source) FX600-GLN ATX12V/ EPS12V 600W All-In-One Power Supply
CPU-AMD Opteron 170 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
Card Reader-AMC AICR-01-BG 8-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader/Writer - Retail
Ram-G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model
Floppy-SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM
HD #1-Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
HD #2-Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3250823AS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
CPU Cooling-ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink
OS-Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You want 120mm fans in a case these days dont know what that cases mounts are like though so you should double check them.

There is a newer version of the barracuda that costs about the same and is much better, and i cant reinforce strongly enough how much a waste of money raptor hard drives are. I wouldnt go as far as a RAID array but raptor hard drives have a terrible price/performance ratio.