Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New hardrive wont go completely into Winxp

• Please log in to reply

Teresaterri

Teresaterri

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi. I Bought a new 120 g hardive to replace my 20 g one. I copied everything from old drive to new one and then started the comp back up. Both drives were recognized by win xp and everything looked fine. Both drives had the same amount of space used up so it did copy. I then shut down computer and took old drive out. When I started comp again winxp comes up to the point of blue screen with winxp logo and little flag. But it wont go any further. It hangs there.
The new is fine as long as old is hooked up with it but wont go into winxp completely on its own. I have tried to change the jumper on new drive but that didnt help either . Any suggestions how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I copied everything from old drive to new one and then started the comp back up. Both drives were recognized by win xp and everything looked fine.

This is your problem, you had two drives connected that had Master Boot Records, this will usually cause corruption on one or both drives. You can either...

1) Reboot into the Recovery Console using an XP boot disk and try the FIXMBR command with only the new drive installed.

2) This may be the best option as there's less chance for error. Just copy the info from the old drive to the new drive again, but remove the old drive before booting your system this time. If you want to connect the old drive again, connect it as a slave, delete the primary partition, recreate one or more new partitions, and then format.

Teresaterri

Teresaterri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
HiI tried copying again and then rebooting without old drive in and it worked! Thanks for your help. Sometimes its something simple like that and you dont even think of it. Thanks again.

Teresa