Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Short cut to reinstall windows

• Please log in to reply

umesh90

umesh90

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi

Is there any short-cut to reduce the installation time of windows and all other
softwares which were installed prior to format.
All I need is after formatting the hard disk, I need to reinstall all the softwares.
It would be helpful if I get any utility like norton ghost or something similar.
Can I use norton ghost for all kind of hard disk regardless of the capacity if
i create one ghost image.
Help out !

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Probably not a worthwhile shortcut for installing Windows

The consideration with programmes is the ones which update frequently, loading them from an image would still require you to update, and so not as quick as installing the updated version straight off

Even if you made the image just before formatting, you have to factor in the time taken to make the image against downloading and installing updated programme versions

umesh90

umesh90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thaks keith

Theproblem here is, We are a service organisation and most of the calls we get are for software problem. Because of which we spend [bleep] lot of time to reinstall the softwares. Can you tell me a way out please

Umashankar

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The only way to cut it down is to have it all pre prepared at hand before and just go through it all installing it, i keep what i can on a USB pen as its easy to replace things for the updated versions.

However the problem with drive imaging is if you have a problem before and you reformat and install unless it was a problem with the drive you carry the problem fordward to the new system.

You could if you were savvy enough with installers create a multiple program installer but it would be trickier than just installing it all fresh. Its just one of those things.

Although if you are a "service organisation" although not sure exactly what that means i assume its taking computers and fixing them up and checknig them over. Unless you actually have a problem with the systems windows installation then you shouldnt have to reformat it at all just repair the software or any nasties, but not knowing exactly what you do as in fix and send back or fix and sell on its hard to say.