Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adawre se and AVG virus scanner

• Please log in to reply

Catzeyes79

Catzeyes79

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,
Just installed a new HDD for the first time. I have tried to install adawre se and it keeps telling me:

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\device\hard disk1\DR2. It gives me the option to cancel, try again or continue. Which ever I press it does othing and I have to press CNTRL ALT DEL to switch the programme off.
This also happens when my system boots and it refers to AVG.exe although it allows my to press continue and the system boots.

Like a fool I was so chuffed when I installed my first HDD on my own and formatted it (all be it with the windoxs XP disk) but it is now causing all sorts of problems. Oh well at least i am learning something I guess

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
is this new hdd the only one in the system or a second hdd.

Catzeyes79

Catzeyes79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It is the only HDD installed and it is a new one that I have installed XP onto. It's a SATA 200GB drive. Not sure if this helps or I am just jibering but one stange thing that happened when I installed it and installed XP...what i expected to be the C:\ drive is the G:\ drive

D

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what we need to do is either change the drive letter to c:\ or cleanup the registry so instead of c:\ it points to g:\

Catzeyes79

Catzeyes79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the reply. Which is the best option? If I chnage the drive name to C: then will it affect any other programs? Secondly, I how do I go about either process?

Cheers

cfa-ddg2

cfa-ddg2

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 963 posts
An interesting discussion is here: http://groups.google...071c6b5201a0966

Why do I know this? Because the same thing happened to me on my home's desktop when I replaced the HD...I haven't had any problem with the drive being E: rather than C: though...everything seems to work fine.

But I believe you CANNOT change the name of the hard drive at this point unfortunately without reinstalling the OS.

Good luck.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can only rename the system partition with things like partition magic even then its really doesnt like it.