Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AI in Oblivion

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, i got Oblivion recently and wow....what a game...but...what is with the AI?

Surely a game that has neigh on believable graphics should be able to stop your AI friends from running into a pool of lava after a 1 ft tall spider...

I feel stupid asking this...but does anyone know if theres any patches planned for this?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah a couple but ive found the AI pretty impressive, at least for the bad guys its been allright. Theres a patch planned to give new content(you have to buy it $1.99 or something) it may have some fixes. Theres a few "tweaks" going about the forums to fix some issues and make it run better. And there is a mod patch to remove the "american" affect with the glued on underwear.

The gfx are good though so im not as bothered even if the AI was really bad (got a nice surprise when i reformatted and installed fresh omegas that it looked even better).

Spiders though where are the spiders i havent seen any of those yet.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
They are in the obliv gate outside uhh...chorral or cheydinhal. they are like half spider, half naked women...which by all accounts is a deadly combination, they summon little spiders who try to paralyse you.

Ill float the obliv forums because...i gotto stop this guy dying but...he's just too stupid

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, i think ive done the choral one so it must be cheyindhal, im trying to extend it as much as possible so im not activley doing the main quests(has the advantage of keeping open the obliv gates so i can practice my skills).

Ive allready done fighters guild, assasin, and thief, arena was done ages ago, so all i have to do is the mages guild and i think ill be done with the guilds, just need to get my characters magika abilities up fighter charachter so its not that easy now hes well developed. And i want to keep the skeleton key for a while so thats another reason not to finish the main quest.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hehe, yeah. Im doing the same, just exploring the map (which is huge).

One thing i do like is that all the creatures are not all single mindedly after you...E.G. last night i was ambling around when i stumbled of a 3 way war between daedra, undead and one supremely unhappy ogre. I won :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol yeah that does come in handy, only bad thing is they are very determined sometimes, i had to ride from the coast to imperial city and had an enormous pack of wolves behind me, i only noticed when an imperial soldier stopped and got off his horse and came at me. Thankfully ive got that good black horse they give you on the assasin missions the thing is a bad [bleep] just sit back and it will kill everyone for you. The unicorn sucks its AI is awful oribably through design, its rideable and its fast but as soon as you get off it wanders away and if you draw your sword in front of it it goes ape and you have to kill it.

Its a great game though, only thing im bummed at is it wont let me run HDR whcih i can do in source but even if i had to turn the settings down in oblivion i would like to do it, Beth even made ATI fix there drivers to get HDR and AA to work which was a bit low it was there fault.

Although im not going to buy the new patches as its clearly withheld content and you shouldnt pay for patches, i love the game but the guys that made it need a foot up their backside.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
thats certainly true, its not as if they are'nt making a load of cash anyway, since the game is being sold on X-Box 360 as well....

The new D&D / NWN is coming out soon tho:D, think they will follow suit with the First person design?