Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Do I need a better Sound Card?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I want to make a recording of my brothers piano concerto. What do I need to make a good recording with my home computer. Do I need a decent to high end sound card to make a high quailty recording? Or is it the mic? or is it the recording software? or a combination of the three? Please help. Thanks. :whistling:

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there Andybikecrazy.

I would say its all three. Without a good sound card the mic and software wouldnt make diffrence and without a good mic the sound card and software would also make no diffrence, visa versa.

I was thinking recording a live preformance would be ok, but the sound wouldnt be 100% perfect even if you using a good mic, soundcard and program. But I guess with depending on what programs you use you can make it sound like the piano was pluged right into the computer.

I know instruments like the gatuir can plug right into the computer and you wouldnt have to use a mic. But using your method would be great.

Dont forget, dont put the mic to close or to far away from piano, to stay safe keep it futher away to avoid disorted sound.

I havnt got much info. and have never tried recording a piano before but it should work.

Goodluck with that. Let me know how it all went when you done. :whistling: