Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suggestions on the best anti-virus software

• Please log in to reply

MattCharles

MattCharles

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Ok, I have Norton Anti-Virus Software Security, with Antivirus, antispam and a firewall. What other programs are out there that are actually better and actually work lol.
I mean I guess Norton isn't that bad BUT it could be better.

Thanx guys. :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi MattCharles...

For free protection, have a look at AVG or Avast. If you want to buy your AV, Nod32 is pretty tough to beat.

wannabe1

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there MattCharles.

I always used "Trend Micro Internet Security" its great and has never let me down. I find it way more easier to use than Norton and it doesnt take up that many system resources. At there their homepage you can download a trial and see if you like it.

http://www.trendmicr...ome/us/home.htm

Cool :whistling:

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
thanx guys you are the best!
but what is the easiest way and SAFE way to uninstall Norton COMPLETELY out of my system?

xX dArKsKaTa Xx

xX dArKsKaTa Xx

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, find Norton in the list, and it will ask if you want to remove ALL Norton products, click yes.

TechieNate

TechieNate

• Pip
  • 9 posts
yep NOD32 and AVG are my Selection

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With Norton, it's pretty tough to get it off the machine. It's actually worse than most of the viri it's supposed to protect you from... :whistling:

You may have to use the removal tool for your specific application. Google SymClean and SymNRT...each is designed to remove different Norton applications.

wannabe1

TechieNate

TechieNate

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Norton has a Nickname.... Norton The RAM HOG! plus it sometimes turns itself off when under a bad attack and a bad virus which then leaves your pc open for those nasty BUGS :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Nod32 and Kapersky if you are paying, and Avg and Avast for free--I go back and forth between AVG and Avast, and have lately been recommending AVG, but six months ago, it was the other way around.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I would go with Zonealarm suite. I think its good enogh for me, it works, it doesnt use much system resources, easier than norton and THE BEST OF ALL IS IT IS NOT A PAIN IN THE ***. Actualy a freind of mine had NIS2005 and while attacked by a virus, norton turned itself off and his computer whent Ka-BLUEY. jajaja

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
well heres a removal tool i used it and took out my norton internet security

http://service1.syma...=&osv_lvl=&seg=

just choose the one you need

good luck

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The most efficient and effective way to get rid of a Norton install is to set the Bios to boot from CD and use the XP disk for a clean install. No matter what you decide to do, make sure all important data is safely backed up before you do anything at all.

Johanna

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

The most efficient and effective way to get rid of a Norton install is to set the Bios to boot from CD and use the XP disk for a clean install. No matter what you decide to do, make sure all important data is safely backed up before you do anything at all.

Johanna

Don't forget the step where you find and collect every cd in your house that has anything to do with Norton and putting them all in the microwave on high for 2 hours. Sure the microwave will be toast afterwards as well, but at least you are completely free of Norton products in the home! :whistling:

Fenor

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
:whistling: :blink: :help:

Now, now, Fenor, no need to be hateful about it.... :)

Johanna

MattCharles

MattCharles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I'm thinking of buying Trend Micro Internet Security. :whistling: