Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt File after Ghost

• Please log in to reply

sinisfun

sinisfun

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey all,

Recently I had a Maxtor 200GB drive fail and after running MAXBlast I was given an error code... long story short I have received a replacement in the mail and ghosted my dying drive to the new one. During the Ghost I had to give it the appropriate "Force" flags and off it went. It was quite slow however I was able to watch the folder of all of my videos and each individual video that I had made get transfered over in the "Copying File : ~~ " area of Ghost. However when I try and access that file on the new folder windows tells me that "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" and shows a size of 0kb. When I select the drive and view its properties as a whole its shows 233Gbs used, but when I select all of the other folders together they tally up to 21GBs, so as far as I can tell all of the videos are there just the folder named "Videos" is corrupt. Does anyone have an idea on how I can go about recovering the videos I really dont want to lose them as it will be quite sometime before I can make more boarding videos (Broken leg). As for having a back up... I have a full back up of my videos on DVD.. I just dont know where they are as we just moved. On the topic of drive failure how much would one trust a refurbished drive? It was kinda nice though they sent me a 250Gb drive as warranty for my 200GB drive... must have been what they had in stock at the time I guess.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

-Lee

Advertisements

sinisfun

sinisfun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well I sourced the answer myself and figured that I would post it here so that maybe someone else who has this problem can find a solution. I ran CHKDSK and it repaired the file and sub folders.... I have my videos back...

L8r all

-Lee