Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where do you get virus descriptions ?

• Please log in to reply

Woyh

Woyh

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've been interested in learning what various viruses/trojans do for a long time now. Whenever my antivirus catches a virus or a trojan, I've always wondered, what that virus did to my system, or what it might have done were it not stopped. I've had mixed success in finding that information on the internet. Lately though I found exactly 0 descriptions for trojans my anytivirus was able to discover before they were run, in the temporary files of course, while I was browsing the net.

Amongst others I encountered were:
FakeCM.A
Trojan Downloader.Lookme.M
Adware.NdotNet
Tool.TPE.A

Is there any place someone knows, where I could read something about these and others ? I went through some popular antivirus products' homepages, but even though they had listed these trojans as "detectable/removable" they had no descriptions.

Thanks for any info

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Symantec, trend micro and kapersky amongst others have virus databases

Woyh

Woyh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for the help. I tried those symantec and kaspersky before the original post, but not trend micro. Still I got no new information from those. They all say they (most) are detected, but offer no description.

BTW, I wrongfully inserted NdotNet, since it was actually one of many that I did find a description of.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Whats up Woyh, i tried also looking up some information on these v names a couple of hours ago but could not find anything.

What Anti-Virus software are you using that picked up these names???

:whistling:

Woyh

Woyh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey spike. I use Nod32. RAV (www.ravantivirus.com) also uses the names FakeCM.A and Lookme.M, but not Tool.TPE.A ... no description for none of those of course :/

CrazyFrog

CrazyFrog

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Woyh...SOPHOS gives the answer to many a virus. This is a mega antivirus program. The best money can buy....an I aint kidin. Even I can't afford it....Theres a quarterly fee ontop of buying the software and updates

www.sophos.com

crazyfrog

Woyh

Woyh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Checked their virus descriptions too, no luck...thanks though.