Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

control autorun options

• Please log in to reply

roscoeb

roscoeb

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello:

When I insert a video dvd, the autorun window that pops up lists a few dvd-related programs that I would never use to view the movie; it lists the Windows Media Player (which I would use reluctantly); it lists a few nonsense / incomplete entries; but it does not list NVDVD which is the program I almost always desire to use. As a result, I have to close the autorun popup window and go through the Start menu to get to NVDVD.

Is there a way to control the options that show up when I insert a dvd movie?

R

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then my computer, right click the drive, click properties, click auto play, select the file type, put the dot in select an action to perform, choose, click apply

roscoeb

roscoeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The "actions" from which I can choose do not include NVDVD or, for that matter, a couple of other programs I have on the computer that could play the dvd movie. The list of possible choices does include Windows Media Player, of course.

Is it possible to add a program to the list of choices? There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a DVD File on the drive, right click it, click properties, click change, set it to open with the player you want, tick always use this for this file type, click apply

Go back to auto run and see if the player is included when set for DVD Movie files, you may need to reboot