Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP Will not Boot

• Please log in to reply

Jertberg

Jertberg

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
:tazz:

I Have a PC that will not boot at all. When I hit the power button. You see the CD drive light comes on and the 3 1/2 just keeps cycling on the floppy drive. I tryed on hooking the floppy drive power supply. that only caused a rapid 8 beeps. Nothing at all will be displayed on the Monitor. I checked and the monitor does work. The computer is an Amd Tbird k7 athlon 1.3 with 516 ram memory. The motherboard is a itagrated motherboard so hard to troubleshoot. To tell the truth I am not sure what operating system is on it. It has been sitting for a while, but I believe it is XP if not then either ME or 98. Any help would be great. It has a 300W power supply. Could it be the bios battery? I really do not know!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

No it ain't the bios battery if you get nothing on the screen you would still get a post (power on self test) if the battery was bad.

Try a different video card, the fact that the board beeps is good and indicates the cpu and mobo are ok, so I would think the onboard video or video card has failed.

Rick

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks I will check that out brb :tazz:

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
If the video card is bad. Is there a way to get rid of the video card and run off the motherboard or do I need a video card. What would be a go way of checking to see if the Video Card is bad.

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I tried reseating the video Card. no help

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If the mobo has onboard video you could try running on that, I don't know if it does though.

You would have to put the video card in another computer to see if it works or another card in this computer, I don't know of another way to test.

Rick

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Would I have to program the video card in anyway. OR Almost Plug and Play

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Most are plug and play, but you do have to install drivers, you don't have to install drivers to see the post on the screen or to enter windows its just without the drivers the screen won't look very good.

Just put the card in and bootup and see if anything is on the screen for now

Rick

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I removed my video card from my computer (good) to put in my wifes computer (bad one) and it still did the same exact thing. The ATI card from my computer is good because it was just working. I also swapped memory from my computer to hers and I still was doing the same thing. Is there a way to tell if the motherboard has its own integated video card. And if so are there jumper wires that need to be switched around

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If the board had onboard video it would have a place to plug the monitor in other than the video card.

What color is the slot you put the card in on the good computer?

What color is the slot you put the card in on the bad computer?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Can you find the name of the mobo?

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have now switch monitors just in case and still the same. IF you could please give me a good place to start looking on the mobo I will try to find it.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Normally it will have the manufactuers name on it someware

also look for a sticker on a pci slot or elseware (white color slots) with a bar code sticker on it there maybe numers and letters if so post them

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Here are some tests to do

Remove the memory and power on, does the board beep?

Replace the memory and remove the video card, does the board beep?

Make sure you power down and unplug before you remove parts

make sure you touch the metal case to ground static electric from your self before touching parts.

There are other things more involved to try but try these first and report back.

And what about the color of the slots you installed the cards in that I asked about above

Rick

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
There is a sticker that says:
EA= 00D009BD9DC8
then a bar code then:
560hE11729545
and if I am correct in my guess I believe it was a SiS