Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP Will not Boot

• Please log in to reply

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Removing the Memory out of its black slot does not cause any beeps and the floppy does do try to read. The same happens if I take the video card out of the brown slot. No BEEPs then.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok, sis is the chipset the board has in it, thats a start, I will look up them numbers and see but it ain't much to go on, I will let you know, in the mean time run those tests and let me know.

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Both the good and the bad computers video card slot is brown. and both of their memory slots are black

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes the motherboard does have another place to plug in the monitor cable. Sorry I just noticed I was missing some of your post.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Removing the Memory out of its black slot does not cause any beeps and the floppy does do try to read. The same happens if I take the video card out of the brown slot. No BEEPs then

I know you have a case speaker connected because you mentioned the beeps when removing power from the floppy.

Having no beeps when removing the ram or video card is not a good thing and sometimes indicates a bad mobo or cpu, I may have been wrong about a bad video card.

The next thing to do would be tear everthing down.

Leave the cpu, memory installed, but remove all cards, remove the mobo from the case and lay it on a piece of cardboard.

connect the power supply, video card, monitor, mouse, keyboard. Thats it no drives, what we are trying to do is get a post the writing on the screen before windows starts.
What this does is eliminates the possibility of the case shorting the mobo a common problem.
i know this is drastic but needs to be done.

Rick

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Here we go. Cross those fingers

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
While you have the mobo out look under neath for black or scorch marks.

Look on top at the capacitors for bulging or oozing black stuff.

I have to get up early but will be back in tomarrow evening

Rick

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
How do I turn on the computer If the power switch is not hook up.
Also do I have to have an old mouse or would a usb one work

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You can touch thr 2 pins that the power switch goes to with a screw driver, just touch them then release.

No usb you need a "old" ps2 mouse

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I did a google on the numbers you gave me to try and identify the mobo but no luck.

I also tried the sis website and did a search of those numbers and still no luck.

What we know, it has a

1 sis chipset
2 socket A cpu

When you get time read this artical here it may help to identify the mobo but I don't know how important that is till we get it to post.

Rick

Advertisements

Jertberg

Jertberg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So I am leaving town till monday. So I will not be able to try this yet. However when I get back that will be one of the first things on my list to do. And I will tell you the outcome. Sorry about the inconvenience.