Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System 32 window

• Please log in to reply

Dawng

Dawng

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
When I restart my PC ,the system 32( Show hidden files) window opens. I recently uninstalled Norton anti-virus,and Mcafee spyware protection,that came free with my PC, and it had expired. I installed EZ Armor anti-virus, spyware,and firewall ,that I get free with my Roadrunner subscription.I also installed ad-aware,and HDTune. Someone told me that I may have gotten a corrupt file ,causing this,can someone help me with this problem.

Edited by Dawng, 08 April 2006 - 04:14 PM.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Dawng, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

When you say it comes up, does a folder come up or a message box, what does the message box say inside.

Cool :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Dawng...

If it is indeed the actual folder opening, the first place to check for this problem is in the startup programs. Click Start, point to "All Programs", and then to "Startup". Is the System32 folder shown in there? If it is, right click on it and choose "Delete". This will not delete the folder from the computer...it will just remove it from the Startup Folder.

Let us know what you find...

wannabe1

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Hey there Dawng, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

When you say it comes up, does a folder come up or a message box, what does the message box say inside.

Cool :cool:It is the blue message box that says SHOW HIDDEN FILES,but no files actually open,and at the top in the address bar it says C:\ system32

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Is it possible if you could send a screen shot???? But the System32 folder is not on the root directory "C:\" its in "Windows" folder. Something smells fishy. But lets see how the screen shot looks and then we can decide on this (Blue, thats also fishy)

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Hi Dawng...

If it is indeed the actual folder opening, the first place to check for this problem is in the startup programs. Click Start, point to "All Programs", and then to "Startup". Is the System32 folder shown in there? If it is, right click on it and choose "Delete". This will not delete the folder from the computer...it will just remove it from the Startup Folder.

Let us know what you find...

wannabe1

There is no system 32 in the startup list,only shows Adobe acrobat,and winzip.

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Is it possible if you could send a screen shot???? But the System32 folder is not on the root directory "C:\" its in "Windows" folder. Something smells fishy. But lets see how the screen shot looks and then we can decide on this (Blue, thats also fishy)

Cool :cool:How do I send the screenshot?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
When you Add Reply, towards the bottom it will say "File Attachements". Add it in there from you HD

Try there. Cool :whistling:

Edited by spike_hacker_inc, 08 April 2006 - 06:29 PM.

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
untitled.JPG ok here goes. I had the text wrong,it was THESE FILES ARE HIDDEN

Edited by Dawng, 08 April 2006 - 07:00 PM.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Nope, thats legit. There can only be one place its starting up in and thats Startup folder.

Some reason system32 must be hidden. So do this:

> Start
> Run
> Type this in "C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" without quotes.

Where *username* is put your windows username.

> "Tools" (Find on the menu bar)
> "Folder Options..."
> "View" Tab

In the list select "Show hidden files and folders"
> Apply
> Ok

Now you should see the System32 folder lying there, its a shortcuts so its safe to be deleted. So delete it and let me know if that worked.

Advertisements

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
When I type it in ,it says windows cannot find C:\Documents

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's do it a different way. Double click on "My Computer", then on the "C: Drive", then on "Documents and Settings", then on "Your User Name", then on the "Start Menu" folder, then on the "Programs" folder, and finally on the "Startup" folder. Is the System32 folder in there?

Edited by wannabe1, 08 April 2006 - 07:31 PM.

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
System32 is not in my startup folder. Now what?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok".

In Registry Editor, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run.

Is the top entry in the right pane "(Default)"?

Then expand (click +) HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, and click on Run.

Is the top entry in the right pane "(Default)"?

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes the top is my default