Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System 32 window

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Were there other entries under default?

Advertisements

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
No there were no other entries under the default...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We're about there...I think :whistling:

Go back to each or those keys, double click on (Default), and tell me what is in the "Value Data" field.

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
It says no value set beside default and when I click on it. It is blank

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download this Script and save it to your desktop. Double-click on the downloaded file to run it, accepting all prompts to let it run. Reboot and see if the System32 folder still opens on Startup.

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I did what you told me and this is what it says ... This script cannot repair your issue. The expected Registry
value was not found. and a box for you to click OK

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm... :whistling:

Do you have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card? Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab and then click the "Device Manager" button. Scroll down the list to "Sound, video, and game controllers and expand (click +) the catagory. Do you see the aforementioned device? Do you have a separate catagory in the Device Manager for Sound Cards? If yes, check there, too.

wannabe1

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
No I do not have the sound blaster audigy card that you mentioned nor do I have a seperate section for sound cards

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please download and run HiJackThis. Save a log and attach it to your next post. I'd like to take a look at what's running on your machine.

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I hope that I am doing this one right...

Advertisements

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I cannot get it to attach hang on

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Maybe try zipping it first. Right click the file, point to "Send To" and select "Compressed Folder". Then try to attach the zipped file.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'd also like for you to check the following registry key for me.

In regedit, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon

In the right pane, locate the entry UserInit and double-click on it. What is in the Value Data field? Be exact...

Dawng

Dawng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Okay the Hijackthis that I am trying to send to you does not seem to be attaching I will have to work on that. I did the 2nd thing that you told me to do and it also says that the default has no value set, but underneath it has ( wave REG_SZ wdmaud.drv )

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There was no Userinit string value? There should have been a pretty long list in the right pane when you clicked on Winlogon.

Copy and paste the HJT log to your next reply then.

Edited by wannabe1, 09 April 2006 - 05:14 PM.