Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System 32 - the circle of death.

• Please log in to reply

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I ran Ad-Aware Pro on my PC the other day. I restarted the comp, and voila, i cant get in.. I have a partitioned hard drive from previous issues.. I select the version of XP I was using, and it asks to start windows normally, or go from the most recent settings. No matter which I choose, I get the following message:

The Following files are missing:
\windows2\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD Rom. Select 'r' at the first screen.

So I pop in the install CD, and go to the repair selection, and it prompts me to choose which version.. "Windows2" is not one of my choices. Somehwere along they way, I install a 3rd partition of XP, so I can at least USE the computer for now. Go back, try the repair, and it has the initial install, and my new install listed to repair, but not "Windows2"..

Heres where it gets more confusing to me. I have the new install on there. So I do what I did last time. Go into Documents and Settings, and pull the important files from my old desktop to my new desktop. But. When I attempt to access MY user file, it gives me the message

"C:/Documents and Settings/Jacob.Aberrance2 is not accessible.

Access is Denied"

I right click, and select properties, and it says there are no files there.. The guest user folder is accessible. Just not mine.

One other thing that might be important. I have my personal user file protected from other users accessing the files.. That is probably important, but i wanted to be sure.

So thats where I sit. Its as if it doesnt exist.. I just hope someone doesnt come on here and say "thats because it doesnt" as that would suck. 5000 files of my photography, tons of music, and a bunch of artwork ive done on photoshop..

HELP!!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Jacoberrance...

You'll need to Take Ownership of the files.

You've got quite a mess going there...it might be time to backup your files, format, and reinstall. It's less confusing to the machine if it doesn't have to look all over the machine to find a file that works... :whistling:

wannabe1

Jacoberrance

Jacoberrance

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I was able to get the files to this install.. Thank you!!!

Id like to simply start from scratch, but dont really have a way of backing up my files, as my CD burner is old and shot, and dont have a zip disc.. But once I can get a DVD burner, Ill just dump it all there and go from there.

Thanks again!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are most welcome! :whistling:

wannabe1