Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fried My Processor?

• Please log in to reply

lpchris85

lpchris85

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
I have been noticing a big problem recently with my desktop. After playing a game for 45 minutes or so the pc would overheat and sound an alarm and shut down suddenly. I realized my oversight was that i needed to put the thermal paste between my processor and heatsink. i went and bought the paste and applied it as usual smaller than dime size and then secured the heatsink to the processor.

after plugging everything back in i pressed the power button on my system. it booted up, however half a second later it immediately shut down and began smoking.

can anybody for sure confirm this so that i do not needlessly replace the wrong part? is the processor fried or do i just need a new heatsink? my specs are:

socket A 462 mobo
athlon 2500
2gb ram
6600 gt vid card

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there lpchris85.

Well you cant really really be sure unless you take it into a computer shop. It maybe something else. But this really does sound like a 90% processor overheat. I wouldnt want to give you the wrong advice but its best you get someone who can actually test the stuff out and see the computer physically.

I must say you got very very unlucky. Bro stay strong as I would of been kicking my computer around the room by now.

Cool :whistling: Stay tuned to this topic, maybe someone else will relpy with 100% answers.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
SMOKING, it actually smoked, where was the smoke coming from, are you sure you used thermal paste and not perhaps wallpaper paste lol.

If smoke came from it and it didnt boot certainly sounds dodgy, but ive never seen a processor smoke in fact ive never seen anything except a PSU smoke, if you can identify where the smoke came from it might give you a clue, the mobo is a possibility, check for damage if it smoked you will see noticable heat damage.Posted Image this might be useful thing to put on it once you get it fixed, a shop would be a safe thing to do to make sure if they are reasonable in your area.

Edited by warriorscot, 08 April 2006 - 05:05 PM.

lpchris85

lpchris85

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
nevermind the processor is fine, however now i cannot get my monitor to work on the pc. everything works and operates fine... just none of my monitors will recognise being plugged in.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Well maybe thats where you saw the smoke coming from, the "graphics card" (Never seen smoke iether from a graphics card, but I have heard about processor smoke) do you have any other graphic cards you can test on your motherboards???

:whistling: