Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt file and favorties deleted?

• Please log in to reply

erik567

erik567

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Well, i had to restart my comp a few times because it kept freezing, now i get this popup...
Posted Image

But, i think the reason my Firefox favorites were deleted is because of these corrupt files. (What is chkdsk?)

So, if i fix these do you think my favorites will be restored hopefully?

Thanks! :whistling:

PS: My IE favorites are still there.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there erik567. Try this:

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Let me know if it worked. Cool :whistling:

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I do not have a XP CD.... so can i not do that?

Thanks

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
You can still try "Chkdsk /f /r"

This should fix your problem, as it is requesting you to do so.

Cool :whistling:

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
What will make this fix easier for you is if you just uninstall "Firefox" then reload. But first attempt the chkdsk. This might fix other problems that your computer has.

:whistling:

erik567

erik567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
did it, and no more errors!

BUT how do i get back my favorites ? :whistling:(

Edited by erik567, 08 April 2006 - 07:00 PM.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there again erik567, its nice to know that you got your problem fixed.

I assumed you re-installed Firefox, when uninstalling firefox you uninstall the fav's with it. But try and import fav's from IE, maybe you saved a few in there.

Cool :whistling: