Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

MissBev

MissBev

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Well - I tried several times recently and my system restore on my new Dell Optiplex won't restore - any suggestions what to do? The computer just comes back and says that it has not been restored! Thanks

Advertisements

CrazyFrog

CrazyFrog

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi MissBev
check your System Restore settings. are they 'on' on all drives? Sounds like they are not on yet. If not check the box in the sytems restore settings. Windows learns your usage of the pc and your settings. If youve got bad stuff on your pc, good idea to run anti virus software and even spybot. Link bellow

www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

MissBev

MissBev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
HELP - am now using my husbands computer - started system restore from safe mode and now the screen is stuck with just the box saying system restore and the blue line is about one-sixth of the way and has been stuck for quite awhile - what do I do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi MissBev...

Could you define "Quite a while" in more specific terms for me? Minutes? Hours? Days? :whistling:

wannabe1

MissBev

MissBev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi MissBev...

Could you define "Quite a while" in more specific terms for me? Minutes? Hours? Days? :whistling:

wannabe1

Yes - sorry - it has been atleast 30 minutes - is that normal for safe mode - the computer I am on works fine and I have periodically used system restore and it only takes about 5 minutes? Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's a tad long.

Do you have an installation CD? Just in case we need to replace some files...

wannabe1

Jazmeen

Jazmeen

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
:help: thats funnyfullness , Nah not really. But it happened to me last year.. My dad fixed it :blink:
Sorry I couldn't help. :whistling:

CrazyFrog

CrazyFrog

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi missbev - more than likley the cd is dirty. Take a cotton ball, dip in water and wipe from the centre of the disc out to the edge gently.Put your first finger through the hole in the cd. Move the disk round untill its all clean. Making sure its dry. Put it back in the pc. You should be prompted to begin from where you left off.

CrazyFrog

EDIT - Been watchin too many scifi films tonight..dont ignore the above it may help...captain jayneway on the warpath and 7of9 gonna sort me out plus a few klingons OOPs

Pardon me for the confusion

Edited by CrazyFrog, 08 April 2006 - 08:43 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think MissBev is talking about a System Restore, CrazyFrog...rather than a Recovery. System Restore doesn't require the CD.